Did I destory my touchpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by natalie addict, Sep 26, 2010.

1. natalie addict macrumors newbie

I used some cleaner to clean up the area below the keypad and now my touchpad doesn't work. I can get some response out of it but not much. I didn't use very much cleaner just a little. What happened to my touchpad and how can I fix it?

It's 15" Macbook pro model a1260 from about the summer of 2008.

2. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

what sort of cleaner did you use? Did any liquid seep under the trackpad?

3. DJ-R macrumors regular

You opened it and clean it? If you did, did you forget to reconnect the cable?

4. natalie addict thread starter macrumors newbie

Some 409, I sprayed some on a paper towel, enough to make it moist but not drippy so none got under anything.

Nope, I didn't open anything. Just cleaned the surface.

5. rosas macrumors newbie

It happened to me a couple of weeks ago... but in my case it was the keyboard. i was using a moist piece of paper towel (no, it wasn't very wet nor it was dripping) and some buttons of the keyboad stopped working.

I took it to the assistance and they replaced the whole keyboard. maybe i was lucky...

6. KirkL macrumors 6502

Doesn't Apple void warranty if they find moisture in the laptop?

7. rosas macrumors newbie

i don't know... as i said maybe i was lucky...

8. crypticlineage macrumors regular

OP: Are you out of your mind? You used 409 on a $2K laptop?

You could have simply used water. And oh, never ever, ever, ever directly spray any liquid cleaners including water on any part of a computer.

I thought this was common sense.

9. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Only if it trips one of the moisture sensors. Although i don't think there is a sensor under the trackpad.

The sensors are little while circles that turn red when they come in contact with moisture.

10. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Did you clean the trackpad? I have done this before and it just takes some time to get it back to functioning again. You might want to try going over the area with a lightly moistened paper towel with WATER...not very much but enough to get the 409 residue off, if you have coated your trackpad with 409 residue.

11. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Rubbing alcohol is an excellent cleaner for your keyboard and touchpad FYI for future reference. :)

12. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

OP said they sprayed it on the paper towel, not, not, not, not the computer.
    But yeah..Its not a bath tub, so lets keep the 409 off of the macbooks guys lol

LIGHTLY dampen a cloth with water ONLY!!! or a little bit of rubbing alcohol. Soaps leave residue and water wont

13. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

There is an LSI under the trackpad, and will not be covered under warranty if apple see it

14. natalie addict thread starter macrumors newbie

Miracles do happen!

After sweating bullets for a day, the touchpad came back to life. I left it sitting open overnight and it worked just fine this morning. No more 409 no siree bob at all anymore.

15. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

i use acetone to clean mine. i also used it on my white macbook and it made it shiny white :p