Did I Do That?!?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tankgunk, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Tankgunk macrumors regular

Tankgunk

Googling my real name is pointless, I get cemetery listings with my great great grandfather in them. (Yes I googled myself once, you'll get over it.)

However, I did google "tankgunk" and was disappointed. Not because nothing showed up, but because I had a rough start to using forums. I don't even have the guts to search for posts by myself on these forums, and I'm still not a heavy user. Anyway, I'm not really embarrassed by what I've done in forums, but some of it, especially a little bit left over from me learning the basics of linux, is downright stupid. However, I am proud to say that "tankgunk" is my only online identity, aside from one identity. I've never renamed myself in an attempt to remove childish records from myself. Though I did rename myself because of a bad screen name.

That one identity was my first venture into the online community in general. It was fun, and rather successful. I had several thousand posts and was recognized as a decent signature and logo creator. Anyway, I recognized the forum as a complete time sink (I still to this day ignore my post count and only post places occasionally) and abandoned it, along with the screen name, as it was not only directly tied to a specific topic and not very universal, but it was spelled wrong. On purpose. Anyway, the forum has since been squashed by it's creator, and it was kind of sad to find that out today, mostly because I can't go back and see what I did.

Anyway, I dare you to google your current and past screen names, providing they're at least a little unique.

Edit: this is probably real dumb, as nobody else would ever think to google my screen name unless I post this. Oh well, go ahead.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yeah - I've done that, and it wasn't pretty! :eek:

With the exception of a few posts scattered throughout different forums on the internet, MacRumors was my first online forum experience. Needless to say, the first 20 posts or so were definitely experimental to say the least.

Those with the best of memories may remember that I once inquired as to how to "automatically" add the "originally posted by username" at the beginning of a quote ...yes, I had been copying & pasting and writing it in manually for months before some wonderful members told me about the "Quote" button at the bottom of every post!

3. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Aw, that's sweet. :)

4. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I once made a post ranting about how it is annoying when people do not use proper spelling and grammar and I used grammer in my post title. I pretty much got my ass kicked.

P.S. Not here on Mac Rumors Forums. This was actually at my first (memorable) forum experience, which was Ghost Recon Forums. (That was a great game by the way)

5. Tankgunk thread starter macrumors regular

Tankgunk

I (try to) use proper spelling and grammar pretty much everywhere... I love the system wide spill choking in OS X.

EDIT: I've seen college papers with incorrectly corrected spelling errors in them. It's kind of sad.

6. c073186 macrumors 6502a

Me too; that is definitely one of my favorite features. Now when I post things in my class discussions I do not have to first type it in Word and then paste it. Saves a lot of effort.

7. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I have some records of myself on a mountain biking forum from when I was eleven, three years ago. Let's see what I can dig up....

My username was ****-tastic as well.

8. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I've been using forums and Email groups (anyone remember Egroups before yahoo?) for awhile now. I'm typically a lurker LONG before I ever post. I've been banned once and one car forum I read would ban me if I showed them what my car looks like.

I've used this screen name for about 10 years now so a google search would bring up a lot.

My favorite forum is a road racing/auto x forum, they don't put up with BS from anyone. It is privately owned and operated, they don't care what any parts maker or vendor has to say so long as it is technically correct. They fully expect you to use the english language properly AND read the rules. In fact, you won't even get in if you don't read at least enough of the rules to figure out how to request that your account be activated. If you fail at the above they take great pleasure in ripping you to shreds and watching you flail about before actually banning you. They also have some of the best and easiest to search info on how to make your car handle I've ever found. Gosh I love that place...

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Been using my handle for a long while now. Googling shows the handful of sites I have tried to contribute to in some way or another. Almost all the search results are mac related :)

PS - It's nice to see that the last result is my personal site :)

10. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Hehe, so one time I was doing research on viable sources and Tookie Williams (if anyone remembers him, he was on death row and got executed). Anyways, I read an article defending him on this hardcore gangster site and I proceeded to critique it in their forums. The moderators banned me for being a racist. I thought it was hilarious, considering it had nothing to do with race. But halfway before I got banned the moderator threatened to "track my IP Address and send some brothers to my house". I was laughing so so hard. Anyways, thought it was a funny story :)

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I suppose I can embarress myself for a moment. :)

My very first thread (Possibly my first post?): http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=231538

Back when I was a complete n00b at anything related to computers.:eek:

Googleing my username shows nearly unlimited results, since it's not unique, but googling my AIM screename shows lots of results, including services I've joined.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Thanks for the site suggestion, we'll give it our full consideration. ;)

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Apparently it's something to do with Anime characters.

My original choice for the name came from my preoccupations regarding the MBP and it's general furnaceness. I thought about Flamer but obviously that was a bad choice. BBQ was on the table but not very funny, Celcius was my best choice but that was pretty common, so I thought I'll be all clever and pretentious and put it in Japanese. Ha.

I suppose I should have picked Hibachi - since two years on, it's just as appropriate :p

14. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Spill Choking would be a great name for a band. Their first-album could be called "System-wide."

EDIT: I think I'm the only killmoms out there, btw.

15. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Since the whole online alternate identity is still an odd concept to me (I predate BBS's, geez), my MR name has no relationship to anything other than my original post 3-1/2 years ago. Always something new to learn, I guess. Gotta get that fixed one of these days.

This is the only forum I stick with, I'm a member of a few others, but none have the sense of community this does. So many of the others I've visited (but not joined) are full of juveniles that think life is nothing but one big trash-talking exchange. Yuck.

Also, this is the only one where the powers-to-be find me either amusing enough or inconsequential enough not to ban. So I have that going for me...

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This is not me.

There are a lot of mactastics on teh tubes...