Did I do the right thing???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Prof., Jan 6, 2008.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

So... I am a member of the new Angels & Airwaves (it's a rock band) fan site called 'Modlife'. In the website there is a chat room were everyone talks about the band and other stuff. For the past week and a half there has been a member who is 19 years old picking on another member who is 13 years old. He has been bashing, humiliating, swearing and calling this poor kid horrible names; names I can't write here cause I would get banned from MR if I did.

So, I finally got fed up and told the bully to leave the poor kid alone. Well, The guy started bashing me and calling me the same disgusting names. After a couple of days of this 19 year old guy bullying me and this 13 year old (I'm 18 btw) I decided to report him to the website. Now, some of the members of the site, I'm guessing his friends, are telling everyone to 'be nice' or else he (me) will report them.

I thought I did the responsible, adult thing to do by reporting him. If you saw how this guy was bashing this poor kid, you'd be just as upset as I am now.

Did I do the right thing?

Prof.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

regardless if you did or not, you can't do anything about it so just live with your decision.

I personally wouldn't have done the same as it's the internet and a forum nontheless. I would have just alerted mods and that's it.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes you did.

4. Baron58 macrumors 6502

Yes.

Only negative thing I would say is, you should have done it sooner.

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Sounds like a class A douchebag. You did the right thing, although the web site admins should have stepped in first. Who tries to bully people online? I'm not saying it's right in person...but, online??

6. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

The thing is, there aren't any admins or mods yet cause it's a chat room and the forums are not up yet. The site is still really new. (Nov 6, 2007)

7. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Maybe you should have just reported him without talking to him first? :confused:

8. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

I thought I could stop the problem. I didn't want be forced to report him.

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

My rule of thumb is that if I think I can defuse a situation by redirecting gently, or with a little humor, than I will. If it's apparent that only stern admonitions are appropriate, I won't waste my time and simply report the post. Warnings, cautions, and bans are a mod's job, not mine.

The problem with chat rooms is that they are in many cases (such as yours) unmoderated. Maybe a PM to the younger member to give them a little support until cooler heads can take charge. Bullies are bullies, wherever & whenever. I just wish I had a pants-dissolving ray. ;)

10. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

Yes you did the right thing people that bully others online are just wussies, and i bet that kid gets picked on in real life all the time and tries to take it out on someone in the virtual land we call the web.

11. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

I got a response from Modlife. Here's what they said.

Brandon -
    Thank you so much for letting us know. We will get this taken care of. Please let us know if anything else happens.

Thanks
    -Modlife

Hopefully this will all end now.

Thanks for supporting me :)

Prof. :apple:

PS. Brandon is my real name.

12. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

glad to see some type of moderator stepped in and took care of the situation, now give yourself a pat on the back ;)