Did I download a virus somehow??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigpoppamac31, Jan 3, 2016.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

This keeps popping up on my screen randomly. There was an App icon seemingly for this in my Applications folder but I deleted it. But this thing still pops up. I've never downloaded this game. I can close it and it goes away without anything happening but how do I make it go away for good? I only noticed it after trying to download iStat menus widget for the Dashboard in 10.9.5 Mavericks which didn't work out. Did I end up with a virus?

Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 11.22.46 AM.png

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Did you download something from CNET? They are known to stuff adware into packages for download. I call that malware. There's a program called malwarebytes (I think) that is good at removing the adware junk

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

No. I downloaded from here (http://istat-pro.soft32.com) and only noticed this issue after that. So I assume it may have come from there.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

you mean the Romanian download site Soft32.com?
    Yeah, that sounds like a choice download site [sarcasm intended]
    Likely worse than CNET.
    Download and run malwarebytes. (that's from the actual developer, not some random download site)
    That should remove the adware that you picked up. Try to get your software from the original developer from now on, if possible. That won't eliminate all forms of malware, but will at at least give you software more likely to work.

5. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

I DL'd and ran the app. Removed any malware there was. Lets see how this goes.