Did I erase my router data?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lester52, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Lester52 macrumors member

I'm using one of two power cords that came with my Macbook. One of them has this magnetic connection thing on it and in the Macbook manual it says keep that part away from your iPod because it could erase the data. Now I know a router isn't a Macbook, but they both have data on them.

I was re-arranging my computer workspace today and the magnetic part of this power cable was touching my router by accident (my carelessness). Did I mess up my router by this happening?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

No, but if your router and computer touch, there will likely be a spontaneous combustion.

Seriously, I don't mean to pick on you but since most routers are connected to a power source via a cord, running another cots adjacent to it won't be a problem. If this works you will be fine (not my setup):

[​IMG]

3. Lester52 thread starter macrumors member

I am amazed at that picture!

I was just wondering because I heard magnets can erase data and I'd hate to have messed my router and computer setup up when I'm trying to get it all to my liking.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Magnets erase data on MAGNETIC media. And the magsafe adapter is FAR from being a powerful enough magnet to do any damage.

5. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

Most routers are using flash memory, which is not magnetic. Only harddisks are still magnetic. Soft disks are too, but they are hardly used anymore. Besides, the magsafe connector hardly seems magnetic unless it is connected to your computer. I never knew that until I tried it just now. I guess the magnetic part is in your computer, not the cord.