Did I ERASE OSX?!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lallure, Jul 9, 2010.

1. lallure macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I just partitioned my iMac drive via Boot Camp.
    I successfully installed Windows 7 on that partition.
    But now my iMac only boots into Windows 7.
    I read a bunch of threads here and tried holding down many keys whilst booting.

Option key gave me a grey screen with a lock on it prompting a password.
    I entered the computer's admin password, and tried leaving it blank, but nothign happened.

when I held down Ctril + Command + p + j I was asked to choose which OS I wanted to boot....well my only option is Windows 7!

I check and see Windows 7 is on the partition though (90gb I allocated w/ Boot Camp)
    Did I somehow erase OSX? no idea how!

Any solutions are appreciated

Thank you!!!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Boot from the OS X install disk and set the OS X disk to be the startup volume from the Menu Bar

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That password you got asked is the Firmware password, which can differ from the Admin password.

Can't you open the Boot Camp Control Panel in Windows and choose Mac OS X as startup disk there?

4. lallure thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response.

Oh boy. I cannot seem to find the Boot Camp control panel. Where would it be located?

When I try booting from the OSX disc (by holding down "C") I get a grey screen for about 1 min then it automatically goes into windows even while I'm holding down "C".
    I know the disc drive works.

When I try to open the OSX disc in Windows 7 something tries to install followed by a message that it can't be used in this version of Windows.

Any further help is extremely appreciated!!

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hey lallure - the Boot Camp control panel is hidden in the default Control Panel view in Windows 7, since that view doesn't show 3rd-party control panels. You have to choose "Show All Items", then it will appear.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The Boot Camp Control Panel is located in the Taskbar on the right side, but only if you have Boot Camp drivers installed. Maybe you need the BC 3.1 update to have access to it. Or you reset the Firmware password, as I linked in my earlier post.

7. Love macrumors 68000

Love

when your OS X disc is inserted at boot time, hold the option key instead of the C key. this will bring up a boot menu, from there you can pick OS X, windows, or the OS X disc.

8. lallure thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank again, everyone!
    When I hold down "alt/option" I only get to the lock screen asking for the firmware password, which, of course, I forgot :-\

Don't see Boot Camp in my control panel after I show all or the task bar.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Spinnerlys already posted a link on how to remove the password you don't know. (Cliff notes version: Add or remove some RAM, zap PRAM (Command-Option-P-R) on boot until the password is gone.

B

10. lallure thread starter macrumors newbie

Removing the memory and "zap PRAM" worked!

Thank you guys!