Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
I got an old G4 from eBay that was having logic board problems. This afternoon I took off the bottom plate to try to re-solder the chip that seems to most commonly be the problem. After completing the procedure, I put the heat shield back on the bottom to protect the bottom of the board to flip it right side up. I plugged in the power cable and I pushed the power button. A spark flew from the metal frame to the heat shield and everything went quiet. The adapter is no longer glowing and I can't get any response. What have I done and is it fixable? I'm super bummed, so any help would be enormously appreciated.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I got an old G4 from eBay that was having logic board problems. This afternoon I took off the bottom plate to try to re-solder the chip that seems to most commonly be the problem. After completing the procedure, I put the heat shield back on the bottom to protect the bottom of the board to flip it right side up. I plugged in the power cable and I pushed the power button. A spark flew from the metal frame to the heat shield and everything went quiet. The adapter is no longer glowing and I can't get any response. What have I done and is it fixable? I'm super bummed, so any help would be enormously appreciated.

It sounds like electricity found a shorter path to ground. That would be the spark you saw. You probably fried it. Who knows where that electricity went and what it destroyed when it got there.

Maybe you're lucky and someone else knows more than I know (plenty do).

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Lazarus

After sitting for a while, I gave it another try and I was surprised that it started working again. The screen still won't turn on during start up, but it's powering up again. I'm not sure how to get the screen to come on, but having juice to the machine is a good place to start.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.