Did I FUBAR my MBP HD??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MT0227, Feb 17, 2010.

1. MT0227 macrumors 6502

OK...so now that I've pulled my head out of my @ss and slammed it into the wall a few times for being stupid, I'm ready to explain my problem.

My MacBook Pro 17" UNI (late 09) took a 3.5 foot jump off my bed (while on) and landed on its front right corner (the one near the power light); other than the cosmetic smush of the aluminum everything else seemed to run ok; I was able to check email, run safari. Surely not a true test, I decided to do the extended hardware probe and got the following error: 4HDD/11/40000004:SATA(0,0) <=This can't be good.

Upon restart (first since the fall) I got the blinking folder with ?; I tried to perform a verify and repair, but disk utility was unable to do either.

I have a fairly recent backup, but would like to get a few files off the machine if possible. Any suggestions on how to recover my files and get the HD running again would most appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc

2. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I have Data Rescue 2 (haven't upgraded to version 3) which I used successfully before. You must have one tall bed though! 3.5 ft? Unless you're ready to change some of your bedroom furniture, you may be a prime target audience for an SSD. :)

3. yaroldb macrumors 6502

I know this sounds really simple, but did you check to make sure the cable connecting you HD was not lose or did not come off in the fall?