Did I get a bad hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PhazonUK, Jun 30, 2011.

1. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I posted a while back describing some troubles I'd been having with a 500GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue drive. It replaced a 320GB Scorpio Blue.

At first the OS occasionally froze for a few seconds, but eventually that problem disappeared. But I did have to do a disk repair whilst trying to fix the issue...this was around 3 weeks after buying it. Now it's coming to about 2 months and I'm having an even worse problem.
    My computer can either take very long to boot up or it just won't boot up at all (I once turned it on and went to eat, 30 minutes later it was still loading). So...I jut booted from my SL disk and had to perform another repair. This time it gave the following errors whilst verifying:
    - Invalid volume count
    - Invalid volume directory count
    - Invalid volume free block count
    - Volume header needs minor repair
    - The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired

So yeh, I've had two problems in two months, the second problem being much worse than the first. I've also had problems launching iTunes (but that's likely down to me running 10.5 beta), my DropBox no longer loads properly on startup (gives me an error) and I've had problems installing some things.

I don't really know much when it comes to hard drive problem, but things seem pretty bad.
    So looking for what other people think.

One last thing...I thought I'd verify permissions just to see what it said...and there are a ton of things coming up saying "Permissions differ on..."
    Is that something I should be concerned about? =/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Don't worry about permissions. It doesn't fix nearly as many things as people tend to think.

Boot your machine in verbose mode holding down command-V. If you see something along the lines of "disk0s2: I/O error", then yes, you likely have a bad hard drive. It's possible it's the hard drive cable, but it's more likely it's the hard drive itself.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios