Did I Get A Bunk SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nim6us, Nov 5, 2013.

1. nim6us macrumors member

nim6us

I've been trying not to let this bother me, because I installed my SSD (Samsung SSD 840 PRO 256GB) and my MBP is faster and overall I'm happy. BUT below the surface, I ran the BlackMagic speed test, and the numbers are nowhere near advertised.. and it really bugs me! I'm hoping some tech heads here can help me figure out why I'm getting such bad numbers, here's my numbers:

[​IMG]

My system specs:

[​IMG]

My SATA specs:

[​IMG]

Tell me if you need any other stats, or what you need me to do to troubleshoot. I'm all ears, I want to fix this, I don't know why I can't appreciate that this is just a great computer.. this thing on my brain says it could be.. SHOULD be faster! Please help me get the monkey off my back, thanks ;)

2. PervySteve macrumors newbie

It's also lacking trim support which seems odd. Did you do a fresh reinstall after installing it, or just restore time machine or something?

3. intothepolis macrumors regular

4. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

It's not lacking TRIM support, it's just not enabled by OS X and the OP needs to use something like "TRIM Enabler" to enable it. Apple only enables TRIM on "Apple" SSDs.

From my cMBP, which does ~500MB/s both read and write:

5. nim6us thread starter macrumors member

nim6us

I tried reinstalling and got a little bit better write speed, but could have just been the restart:

[​IMG]

What's "trim support" and how should I get it?

6. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

Does the 2011 MBP use a SATA3 cable?

I have a 2009 MBP with a Samsung 840 Pro installed.
    But because the 2009 MBP's only have a SATA2 connector, my MBP is not going to be able to reach top speeds.

Trim Enabler: http://www.groths.org/software/trimenabler/

7. alex0002 macrumors 6502

Did you install the SSD in the hard drive bay or the optical drive bay?
    There were some macbook pros that didn't run well with the SSD installed in the optibay.

Since you upgraded to 10.9 and hopefully installed all the updates, you should have the latest EFI patches. I believe there were problems in that area in the past, so perhaps you might want to check.

The late 2011 models are SATA-3, but it's not unknown for the cMBP to sometimes have a bad SATA cable.

You might need to experiment with the Energy Saver preferences. Some people with third party SSDs find that they need to uncheck the "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" option.

8. davidlv macrumors 65816

installed where?

Did you replace the original HD with the SSD in the HD drive bay?
    The SATA III cable / controller in the 2011 models should produce much better speeds than what that benchmark is showing. I get well over 450mbs write, over 500mbs read times, with a similar top level SSD.
    Possible solutions: Check the cable connection by reconnecting it, or replace the cable (I believe ifixit has them for sale).
    Return the SSD and get a different one.
    All involve much hassle, sorry.

Trim: I suggest you google "Chameleon SSD Optimizer"
    and use that to enable TRIM, and also "noatime", to reduce the number of useless writes.

9. nim6us thread starter macrumors member

nim6us

Yeah installed took the old HD out and plugged the new SSD in, same cable same position, same everything. I got the drive from one of those wholesalers on eBay. It's been past 30 day not returning to him, could I swap with Samsung? I guess I have some Googling to do, thanks for all the good replies.

10. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Yeah, it seems to be broken.

Get a replacement.