did i get a good deal? macbook (white)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitemac2, Dec 1, 2007.

1. whitemac2 macrumors member

yesterday i bought a macbook from a local here in louisville for 625.00 came with dvi connection and the crt video connection and remotecontrol

specs are:
    2.0ghz
    2gig ram upgrade
    80gb hd
    Leopard Upgrade

the owner said that they bought it october 5 2006 so its a little over a yr old.

was it a good buy? is there any programs that should be taken off to speed up the system any? i am 100% new to mac

2. TSE macrumors 68030

That is a great buy for a Core Duo MacBook with 2 GBs of RAM. If you are going to run Boot Camp, I suggest you upgrade the the HD to atleast a 120 GB and 7200 RPM. The faster HD will make up for only having 2 GBs of ram.

Good luck.

3. whitemac2 thread starter macrumors member

mac

is there a big differences between the core cuo and core 2 duo i was reading a few posts where the only main difference is the 62bit?

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

It is 64 bit actually.... and that is the main difference. The Core 2 Duo also supports up to 3GB of RAM.

5. eman macrumors 6502a

That's a good deal! Did you get the restore discs and did this have the superdrive or combo drive?

I have ran bootcamp on a 80Gb HDD and didn't have any trouble. If you're not going to load a lot of pictures, the 80Gb drive will be good for a long while. If you are going to be loading a lot of pictures, buy a 160Gb HDD on ebay for around $45-$80 and sell your old HDD on ebay for $39.
    If you want to run a dual boot, run Parallels or Vmware.

6. eman macrumors 6502a

I've had both and I couldn't tell any difference in the speed.

7. whitemac2 thread starter macrumors member

mac

it has the drive where it burns

CD-WRITE,-R,-RW
    DVD-WRITE -R,-RW,+R,+RW

so i imagine its the super drive

i am mainly going to use it for music and surfing the web..i think its REALLY speedy probably becuase of the 2gig of ram

8. ivan1234 macrumors regular

9. whitemac2 thread starter macrumors member

mac

i imagine when comparing the core2duo 1.83ghz to the core duo 2.0ghz the core cuo 2.0 is probably faster right? and the 2.0ghz core duo is probably paralle to the core 2 duo 2.0 with exception of 64 bits?

10. eman macrumors 6502a

Looks like you have the superdrive. You have the ability to burn a CD and DL DVDs.

11. whitemac2 thread starter macrumors member

mac

awsome thats what i thought. i cant believe how much it out perofrms my toshiba p205-6337 which is intel core duo 1.73,200gb hd,2 gig ram,533fsb..needless to say i sold the toshiba to get the macbook and still had money left over and MAN was it a good choice... definitly cant beleive how much faster it is and that toshiba was supposed to me a mid level laptop ha.

12. whitemac2 thread starter macrumors member

13. whitemac2 thread starter macrumors member

can anyone tell me if there are any recomendations as to what to remove from the mac to speed it up somewhat or anythnig useless?

14. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

it does not say dvd-write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
    so i dont think it has the ability to burn dual layer dvds

15. TheStu macrumors 65816

Well, if it is running slowly (which is really shouldn't... I mean, I have a 1GHz powerbook sitting next to me, and it doesn't feel a whole lot slower than my MacBook, at least in doing day-day things) then you may want to do a Clean Install.

Or, get a copy of XSlimmer, that will remove the old PPC code from the apps on there, making them load faster and take up less space.

16. whitemac2 thread starter macrumors member

how do you figure out the mbps speeds of your network?

i downloaded istat and the network says:

in:0 kb/s (240mb)
    out:0 kb/s (18mb)

what does that mean, sorry to be so vauge i am normally used to windows just using a straight forward xxxmbps