Did I get a Good Deal? Make good a good decision?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RSNL, Mar 7, 2008.

1. RSNL macrumors regular

Hi everyone,
    Okay..My parents are in the military so they have the Navy Exchange Mall. I asked them to buy me the basic Macbook (white) 2.0ghz 1GB mem 80GB combo drive for 970.00 no tax last night. Refurb was 850.00, but 925.00 after tax, so might as well get the new one right?

Well this morning...

I went back to the refurb site and they had a refurbished MacBook (black) 2.16GHz 1GB memory160GB hd 8x SuperDrive for 999.99, but 1087.00 after tax. Pulled the trigger because I haven't opened the one my parents bought me. The only thing is I can only upgrade the Ram up to 2GB =(

my personal choice had always been the blackbook, i just didn't seem to want to pay the premium for basic surfing, emailing, iphoto when i'm too lazy to get on my pretty brand new 20" iMac aluminum 2.4ghz. I just wanted to go Apple all the way because my current laptop is a dell 710m and I sold it for 700.00 to my coworker the other day.

Did I make the right choice? I need myself to feel better about this decision because I am a very indecisive person haha:D

2. dborja macrumors 6502a

I saw that this morning, too. It's still a good machine.

I also pulled the trigger at 1:00AM on a WhiteBook 2.0, previous generation. I like the BlackBook but the dealbreaker for me is that it's $150 more than the one I ordered and it's two previous generations from the current one (that's why the max RAM is 2GB). I already have an iBook but I just learned yesterday that XCode 3.1 requires a MacIntel and I need the flexibility of not being tied to my iMac when I'm coding. I figured that I may want to go to 4GB as I'll be running emulators and other tools aside from XCode then iWorks/MSOffice on another Space and Mail and Safari on yet another Space with a Windows XP virtual machine...you get the idea.

The nice thing about refurbs, aside from price, is that they're brought back up to like-new specs and carry the same warranty. There's also a chance that you get more than what's spec'ed; some people report getting 2GB RAM installed instead of 1GB and other pleasant upgrades when they receive theirs.:)

3. RSNL thread starter macrumors regular

i hope i am one of the lucky ones who get the extra software.. Photoshop, Apeture, etc. :p I can dream right? hehe

4. skins0304 macrumors newbie

I just got my 2.2 refurb Macbook yesterday and it came with 2gb of ram. The thing was absolutely spotless (not even a fingerprint!) and runs excellent.

I don't think I'll ever buy a new Mac again. Their refurbs are wonderful.

5. RSNL thread starter macrumors regular

Was it supposed to come with 2gb of ram or was it a freebie?

6. srent5 macrumors member

srent5

Now the blackbook is $1049 before tax...........

7. dborja macrumors 6502a

Different generations: The $1049 BlackBook is previous generation (up to 4GB RAM) and the $999 BlackBook is previous previous generation (up to 2GB RAM) as well as some chipset differences...

8. skins0304 macrumors newbie

An unexpected freebie.

9. srent5 macrumors member

srent5

I didnt see the $999 blackbook on the site, but then for $50 more i guess you get a much better deal!

10. dgraham78 macrumors newbie

I got my macbook(late 2006) for $85 on craigslist, very nice deal, though I need to invest in a larger hard disk its very good for my needs :)
    I sold my Compaq which I used to play video games like Star Trek Online, and other MMOs to buy this and had money to spare :) But sounds like you got a great deal too! Gigity Gigity!

11. visim91 macrumors 6502

Last Post: Mar 7, 2008, 02:36 PM

1 Question: Why?

12. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

because....
    holy thread resurrection.jpg

13. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

14. dgraham78 macrumors newbie

love my mac, no longer gaming, did the trick for me :)

15. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Gratz!

I like it how in forums, when someone makes a new thread on a common topic, they immediately get criticized for not using the search function, and usually get five nasty comments before anyone writes something useful.

Then, if someone actually uses the search function, and adds his comment to an older thread, people also make fun of him.

Forums are really a tough place to "live."

16. visim91, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

visim91 macrumors 6502

No. We encourage using the search function to find topics for reference. Only for reference.
    Adding a sentimental opinion to a topic made three years ago is stupid and pointless, albeit hilarious.
    In fact, the OP and the new poster are talking about two completely different purchases -
    which makes it that much more hilarious, and random.