Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iarejedi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
So I just won a Power Mac G3 400mhz 512mb RAM and 18GB HD (yeah I know small, but I will upgrade) on ebay for $70(with shipping). Do you think I got a good deal on this? I hope so haha I mean it's only $70 bucks right?. Thanks guys.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
A good deal if your happy with it. I would [at this point] no longer buy anymore G3's; unless you plan on using them for internet use, or just email, or iTunes.

If it was me I would have boughten the oldest G4, which the new OS will be able to run on, if you wanted to have a cheap Mac. However, G3's are still great computers, but it just doesn't seem like a good buy in this day and age.

iarejedi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
A good deal if your happy with it. I would [at this point] no longer buy anymore G3's; unless you plan on using them for internet use, or just email, or iTunes.

If it was me I would have boughten the oldest G4, which the new OS will be able to run on, if you wanted to have a cheap Mac. However, G3's are still great computers, but it just doesn't seem like a good buy in this day and age.

I honestly just really wanted a cheap "toy" to play around with. I didn't want to spend more then $100, surely if I got a low end G4 it would have been more then $100 i would assume.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Yes, but it will recognize most DVD drives (I've found, I've tried out four different ones on mine and they all work), so that should be good.

All the parts to upgrade a b/w are so cheap right now, I'd say it's a decent buy (vs. a G4, which is still pretty pricey to upgrade). The max ram is 1gb (4X256, it won't recognize 512 sticks), which is sufficient for anything in OS9 and most non-pro app needs, but the gpu is pci, so you can't upgrade very far. I have a b/w upgraded to a G4 450mHz with 1gb RAM and use it for audio tracking in OS9 (demoing mostly, I mix on a G4 2X1.3gHz). It's still just as good as it was 5 years ago when I got it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.