Did I get a good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AppleStart2013, Sep 23, 2014.

1. AppleStart2013 macrumors newbie

I was looking to sell my Mac Mini late 2012 model with the Intel Core i7 processor and 6 gigs of RAM with an SSD upgrade and a person contacted me and asked if I wanted his Powermac 2xPowerPC 2.5 GHz quad core powermac with 6 gigs of ram and 150 GB HDD and an ati graphics card and it looked pretty powerful so I am going ahead with it.

Was this a good deal? Did I get a bargain?,

2. shiekh, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

shiekh macrumors member

The powerPC is obsolete (you will be stuck at 10.5 and need PPC apps); it will be less powerful than your Mini.

That said I run a simillar G5 at home, and it does all I need. The quad core has liquid cooling that can leak; I have the dual that has air cooling. I got mine free, otherwise I would not have considered such an option.

On 10.5.7/8 it does not sleep by itself, which can cost a good deal in electricity; this can be solved by changing the DVD drive.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I love PowerPC Macs, and the G5 Quad is the "best of the best" PowerPC macs, at least in terms of raw computing power.

With that said, in terms of useability your 2012 Mac Mini is a better computer in pretty much every way. The only thing the Quad really trumps it in is the fact that it can take two internal hard drives and can take expansion cards(if you need that ability). You can work around both of these on your Mini by the fact that it has Thunderbolt, and there are fast external hard drives as well as PCIe enclosures that work on the Thunderbolt ports. An external SSD in a Thunderbolt enclosure is likely going to be faster than any internal drive in the Quad, as they are limited to SATA 1 speeds.

The Quad is "stuck" at OS X 10.5(Leopard). The "mainstream" browsers, including Safari and Firefox, dropped support for PowerPC a long time ago, so if you want a modern, up to date browser and secure browser you have to go with something like Tenfourfox or Leopard Webkit. Both of these are great(and free) products that have a lot of free labor going into them to keep them viable, but still have their issues. There is also Flash, which stopped being developed for PowerPC a few versions ago, and has known security issues when used on PowerPC computers now.

It's also financially not a very good trade. Around here, G5 Quads are generally under $200. I'd expect that a Mini as new as yours would still be $400+.

There's a lot to like about the Quad, but I think you're getting the short end of the deal in trading your Mini for it.

4. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

No. That computer is substantially worse than your mini. It also will not run OS X beyond Leopard, which was released in 2007. It may have some sentimental value as a relic of a past era, but other than that, the PowerMac is kind of useless for any modern computing.

5. bigfatipod macrumors member

Unless you were set on getting a PPC powermac for nostalgia, it's not a good deal for you.

6. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

I won't lie but its good eye candy... I would have either kept the mac mini or sold it and wait for something else to come along. What was your purpose on trading what type of computing do you do if its just for a server you should have kept what you had. just my 2cents.

7. gochi macrumors 6502

bad deal old tech is old tech unless we're talking about VINTAGE

8. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

i hope you didn't get traders remorse by us telling you it wasn't a good deal...