Did I get a good deal?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chromedome45, Mar 19, 2015.

1. chromedome45 macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2012
    Picked up and early 2009 Mac Pro with a quad core 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB Ram, 500 GB HDD and an NVidia 120 for $350. Top handles were bent do I straightened them out as best I could.

Good deal or so so! ;)
  2. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

Jul 23, 2012
    good deal if you can handle the eye sores of bent handles.
  3. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

Jan 1, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    From what I've seen on ebay lately it's a great deal.

I do agree though, I couldn't deal with the bent handles. :mad:
  4. AkuskaUK macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2011
    Shanklin, Isle Of Wight
    I will admit, that's a great deal! Ild love to find another one at that price :) even with bent handles, you can find replacement cases on eBay quite easily!
  5. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Feb 28, 2006
    Central Illinois
    I'd say that's a great deal - I'd have loved to get mine for that price, bent handles or no. Especially if you're looking for a "parts" machine, at $350 it's hard to go wrong. Mine is under my desk, so it probably wouldn't bother me much.
  6. nigelbb macrumors 6502a

Dec 22, 2012
    Great price. I accidentally dropped my Mac Pro from a height of about 12-18" while moving house carrying it by the upper handles so it landed on the feet & bent them. I never have been able to figure out how to straighten them. My attempts have if anything made it worse. I suspect the only real fix is a replacement case although possibly filleting the case of all parts & taking it to a metal working shop they could help. To avoid the cost & hassle of repair or replacement I just learned to live with a slightly bent case.
  7. chromedome45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2012
    I did mange to straighten the front handle so it almost looks like it was never bent. Used a claw hammer and a 1 x 2 piece of wood on the top of the Mac to act like a fulcrum and just kept pulling up till I was satisfied about it's appearance. May have to do a steady jerking motion. Be patient while doing it. Takes lots of elbow grease.

See pictures. Before and after

Attached Files: