Did i get a good deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cammykool, Feb 14, 2016.

1. cammykool macrumors regular

I just got a (pretty nicely speed from what i can tell) mid 2012 MBA

it is the BTO one with the i7 and 8gb of ram (yet still only the 120gb SSD)

Specs of the Air: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i traded it without a charger (fortunately i had one) for a HP Pavilion 14-ab166us

Specs of the HP:
    [​IMG]

the HP had a broad well i3 and 6gb of ram win10 and a 500gb mechanical HDD

(i guess I'm just trying to justify the trade to myself) what do you guys think?

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

3. cammykool thread starter macrumors regular

Sweet. It really is a nice laptop. It's in super good shape

4. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Very nice, did you look at the 13" MBP retina models before buying the Air ? And what really was the deciding factor in going with the air?

5. SmOgER, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016

SmOgER macrumors 6502a

Sorry but ...

First, why the heck would someone trade it in without a charger??
    Second, why the heck would anyone trade in MBA for older and at least 2 times cheaper windows laptop, which happens to be piece of crap in all fairness?

On the other hand, that HP is not that bad, considering that its CPU is only a little (~20%) more than precisely 2 times slower...

But seriously, you either traded it with some not tech-savvy family member/friend and came here to brag about it, or you are in possession of a stolen Macbook.

None of these scenarios are noble unfortunately.

6. SusanK macrumors 68000

Serial number is displayed on first post. Doubt it's stolen.

7. mountain macrumors 6502

mountain

How is the serial going to prove that it's not a stolen macbook air? All the serial does is it tells you the warranty and maybe the specs of the macbook. The serial never says if the macbook is stolen or not.

8. cammykool thread starter macrumors regular

I called local PD and they said the SN was clean.

The guy who traded it to me said he doesn't like macs and for this air without a charger not knowing the status on it. So because i needed a Mac for work i took the chance and traded him. He thought it was some low end c2d or something. When i learned it was an i7 i asked the guy if he wanted to swap back. He said no. He likes Windows better.

9. mountain macrumors 6502

mountain

HAHA at least you took action but I'm afraid your local PD doesn't have all the stolen notebook serials that are stolen (I don't even think they have 5% of it). That sounded like a BS story that the guy made up.

10. cammykool thread starter macrumors regular

11. cammykool thread starter macrumors regular

12. mountain macrumors 6502

mountain

13. cammykool thread starter macrumors regular

What can i do to check if it is stolen.

14. mountain macrumors 6502

mountain

There isn't a way to check if it's stolen or not. Unless the local PD has the serial number and it's not very likely that they do. You just have to use your best judgement.

From the given story, it sounded like your air is a stolen one though.

15. cammykool thread starter macrumors regular

Well damn. What should be done about it then.

16. SusanK macrumors 68000

Disregard posters who insist that a computer is stolen without any supporting documentation of that opinion.

17. r6mile macrumors 6502

I don't really anything about that particular MBA, but what is it they say? "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

18. Adam552 macrumors 6502

Very nice deal :D Macbook Airs are really nice and easy to take around with you.

19. cammykool thread starter macrumors regular

I mean the machine wasn't wiped when j got it but he knew the laptops filevault password and admin password. So that seemed legit enough to me that he knew all of that stuff. And he stuck around to make sure i started the OSX reinstall as he didn't have the charger. Him knowing the credentials was enough for me at that time.

20. mountain macrumors 6502

mountain

I guess common sense is useless to you then.

21. SusanK macrumors 68000

Documentation is more useful.

22. SmOgER, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016

SmOgER macrumors 6502a

The worst part is that there is actually a easy solution for this to prevent questioning if something is stolen and even substantially reduce the stealing itself.

When macbook connects to internet after fresh OS X install, it simply needs to check if device with this particular S/N was recently tied to another iCloud account and if that account requested locking/wiping the macbook. If it did, then immediately issue hard lock and send a code for unlocking it as well as location of device to email of the rightful owner.

And you shouldn't be able to simultaneously tie the same device (SN) to multiple iCloud accounts in the first place.

The only problem with this for Apple,
    less lost/stolen macs = less macs purchased. :)

23. SusanK macrumors 68000

Would this impact returned Macs? Also how would this work on Macs with more than one user account?

Thanks!

24. SmOgER, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016

SmOgER macrumors 6502a

You would simply remove device from your iCloud account before returning it.

As for the several user accounts - good point.
    I guess one way to deal with this would be to set one iCloud account as main one (from which you could lock/wipe your device) and treat all the other ones as additional ones that still have all the options except for wiping/locking.
    So this way you couldn't set another iCloud account as "main" one until you removed the old one and OS X got ''go ahead" response from Apple servers after checking S/N.

There could be many ways to go about this and to be frank most of them technically aren't complicated at all.

But since we do not work at Apple, that's only talk... o_O

25. SusanK macrumors 68000

Thank you for the reply. Interesting ideas. I think removing iCloud is one of the instructions for selling or transferring a Mac. Don't really remember. I only did it once and followed the info I printed out from Apple's site.

Thanks again!