iPhone 6(S)(+) Did I get a good deal?

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I just bought a space grey iPhone 6s+ 128gb in basically perfect condition unlocked and I gave $80 for it. Is that a good deal?

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

ThugFreak

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2018
California
Not only is that a good deal, but rather a steal. They go for 150-300 on eBay.
I recently sold a unlocked 64gig space grey 6s+ still in plastic wrapping with 2 battery charge cycles on it.
It still had the original iOS 9.0.1 on it. I sold it for $340 (I bought it for $280).

Last edited:
Reactions: darksithpro

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
$80 is a great deal, I’d spring for a new battery from Apple for $49 and use it until you want something different then keep it as a spare..

Reactions: Brandonjr36

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
I own a launch weekend Space Gray, 128GB iPhone 6s+ "in basically perfect condition" that was fully unlocked 40 days in. And I gave over $950 for it to T-Mobile during a two year span of time.

$80 for yours?

This is nothing short of depressing!

I thought GSM carriers didn't unlock phones until the balance on the phone was fully paid off or paid in full at time of purchase. You sure?

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
That’s another great thing about it. The guy put a brand new battery in it back in October.

You just got really lucky I guess. Here we are paying a grand for our new phones and you managed to get one for eighty dollars in mint condition. Enjoy your gloating fest...

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
I thought GSM carriers didn't unlock phones until the balance on the phone was fully paid off or paid in full at time of purchase. You sure?
Yes, I'm sure.

We ported from Sprint to T-Mobile in September 2015. But mid-December, as part of the Satisfaction Guarantee the website said I was eligible for unlock. So, I took my IMEIs, got on chat and asked them to unlock. Which they did.

I inserted a non-active AT&T SIM in the phone and was asked for my Apple ID credentials, no errors. It even accepted my old Sprint SIM, although there wasn't anything I could do with that.

Phone numbers changed, etc, etc. So yeah.

We were on JOD at the time.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-23903

https://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/10/t-mobiles-lifetime-coverage-guarantee-lets-you-leave-the-carrier-but-keep-your-phone-lease-active/

Reactions: Zenithal

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015

At T Mobile it usually has to be paid off plus 40 days of service or use. Sometimes though I have heard of them doing it early or while still with a balance if you are traveling or in the military. Can’t speak for ATT.

Reactions: Zenithal

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
At T Mobile it usually has to be paid off plus 40 days of service or use. Sometimes though I have heard of them doing it early or while still with a balance if you are traveling or in the military. Can’t speak for ATT.
Interesting. Thanks. There was a time I looked into ATT, about a year ago or so, but realized Verizon was still a solid choice for us. Great signal strength practically wherever I've been except in the middle of nowhere in flyover America, but that's where a sat phone comes in handy.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Unless you happen to be a customer porting in on JOD. Then, the requirement for it to be paid off is waived and only the 40 days apply (if you don't leave and ask earlier).

That's their customer guarantee thing.