Did I get a Good Price...?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MizzTree, Mar 8, 2010.

1. MizzTree macrumors newbie

Today, I gave in to a sudden surge of desire for something to replace my beloved iMac G5 that recently died, and so went to Craigslist to see what local deal I might find. I located a very clean and fully functioning PowerMac G5 (A1047) with dual 2 GHz processors, 2GB of RAM (4 x 512MB of PC3200 RAM, with 4 empty slots), a 160GB HDD, with a Pioneer DVD-RW, and Airport Extreme. The deal also included an Apple wireless keyboard and mouse (with bluetooth adapter), both in good condition, although you couldn't pass them off as anything but used. There's also a very clean and fully functioning 17" Apple LCD studio monitor. The seller was asking $500 and, after much discussion, finally settled on $450 for the lot.

What I'd like to know, is this a good deal, or would I have done better by taking a few days and doing some serious research?

Also, could anyone suggest a good selling price for my first generation 17" iMac (#1989)? It is exceptionally clean and so perfect for rebuilding. When it is up and running, the screen image is as good as it gets. It does have an Airport Extreme card, but I need to take the hard drive as it still contains all my old files. I see people selling these for rebuilds or parting out, but the prices seem all over the place, and I like to charge the most reasonable price possible.

2. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

So true. A lot faster, and far more "future proof".

G5 cant run Snow Leopard either.

Sorry, but you are talking about a 7 year old G5, technology has just left it in the dust.

Honestly Id try to resell.

4. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

The first iMac came out in 1999 and it had no 17" screen, so idk what you're talking about? The G5 is not that, as the previous poster said, the Mac Mini is 599$ it has a dual core 2.26GHz Processor, 2GB of ram and a 160GB Hard Drive, you also get a warranty, and the latest software, which at least i think It's better, and you can get the 799$ version with 2.53GHz 4GB of ram and 320GB, If you want something better get the low end iMac you could find a nice refurb for less than 1199$ and you get a 21.5" Perfect screen, 4GB of ram, 500GB, 3.06GHz Core2Duo and other goodies

Used stuff isn't as good as new stuff

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

The powermac is dual processor, while the mac mini is a dual core single processor. Wouldn't the powermac be faster, especially if he's running Tiger and power pc native apps? On the other hand, is snow leopard really that much faster than tiger or leopard?

6. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Leopard is way better than Tiger, what can i say vs Snow Leopard :)

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

You are comparing two different things. Processor speed is just a number.

In my list you will see a 20" AL Intel 2.0 iMac which replaced a Dual 1.8 G5 tower with upgraded ram and video card. Running CS2, which was "universal" the iMac was at least 10X faster than the Dual 1.8 in those apps. Not counting the finder speeds which were 3X as fast. Intel chips are just far, far more efficient -- and paired with new versions of OS X they become even faster.

On Intel based Macs, SL is faster. SL was more of an "update" to Leopard, primarily written to increase speed and de-clutter.

If I had a G4 or G5, max I would run is 10.4.

8. MizzTree thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm running Leopard (X 10.5.8.) and it has always run wonderfully well for me on any G5 I've ever had it on. I didn't even know there were problems with it running slow, as it is such an improvement over Tiger, which I really do not enjoy at all. Tiger does seem slow, and it is certainly less intuitive to the way I work. (And I know it isn't something too many people say, but I rather like the original Leopard to SL too.)

I am enjoying reading all the advice. I appreciate it. I didn't buy this system with any idea of keeping it for a long time, just something to get me back to work until I can find something that will be affordable as well as a workhorse. Before I do buy the next piece of equipment, I will read what is posted here closely.

The iMac is first generation iMac G5 not first gen. iMac. (I mentioned this at the beginning of my original post, but failed to repeat it in the actual question.) I'm a fine arts and antiques researcher, by profession, so imagine I have a slightly different attitude toward used stuff than many folk might :).

9. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

good price, i picked up a dual cpu G5 yesterday for quite a bit more then you paid, ignore the nutta's going on about intel + PPC, if the computer does what you want then thats enough surely, newer dont always mean better

10. mac88 macrumors 6502

Very true. If it is going to suit your needs then enjoy! I had used a G5 2.3 (won it on eBay) as a media server and and occasional home video editing. I loved it. When I purchased my new Mac Pro I gave the G5 to my neighbor's kid who is now just getting it all things Mac and video editing/creating. He loves it. So, enjoy yours! :D

He did promise me that when it is time for him to purchase something from the latest and greatest (in a few years for him) he would return it to me for nostalgia reasons. That's the circle of life!

11. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

odd but ive always preferred panther

12. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Well, they did ask if they "got a good price" -- so they left themselves open to all opinions

13. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

yeah but if you get right down to it, a powermac G5 can still do a whole lot more then most of what Apple are offering right now, storage upgrades, and such are only available on the same level if you splash out for a Mac pro, which is silly money, sure the G5 wont run the latest anything but it's still a capable machine and given the options for upgrading, make it a viable and cost effective option to a mac pro ;)

14. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Your question is sort of twofold. Did you get it for a good price? For all of that stuff, I believe you did.

The more important question is "could you have gotten a better deal?" To that, I also believe the answer is yes.

Personally, I would've rather bought a refurb mini from the Apple store and supplied my own peripherals. Why? Newer technology, better compatibility, and a warranty, not to mention that Power PC is no longer supported by Apple in its latest OS.

All told, I would've ended up spending something like $300 more than you, but having the things I mentioned before makes this decision a no-brainer for me.

On the other hand, about 3 years ago I enjoyed spending just as much money upgrading a Quicksilver G4 when I could've just bought a first gen intel mini for the same amount.

PS: I believe I used a 2.0 G5 back in college. Pretty solid machine... I would recommend sticking to Tiger for best compatibility though.