Did I get a matte screen and not know it??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Achiever, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

I feel really dumb even writing this....BUT: last weekend I purchased a 15" base model MBP from my local Apple Retail Store. I asked the clerk for a glossy screen model. He brought out a box that did not indicate what sort of screen it had, so he went into the back to check with someone who allegedly advised him that the default screen is glossy, therefore if the box does not specify matte screen there is a glossy screened machine enclosed.

I am genuinely wondering now if I got a matte screened machine instead. The two reasons I think this are the screen is in no way as reflective of light as my iMac and the colors are not nearly as vibrant as they are on my iMac, which has a glossy screen. Short of taking my laptop into a retail store and placing it next to the displayed MBPs to compare/contrast, is there any way to tell? Can anyone confirm the whole box-listing story the clerk gave me? Thanks.

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

The default for the MBP, if I'm not mistaken, is matte. I had to change mine to glossy when I ordered it online. So if it's the default model, I wouldn't be surprised if it was matte.

3. bcaslis macrumors 68020

He was wrong, the default is matte. If it doesn't list anything on the box, it's matte, it will list it on the box if it's glossy.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you bought it in a store, then it is matte. You can only get glossy as a BTO option from the Online or Phone store.

TEG

5. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

6. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

He's right... They did the same thing when I got my last MBP (Not intentionally of couse) - but I left the store and then noticed that the box said 'Glossy" - when I went back and they swapped it the correct box didn't say Matte (or glossy).

7. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

That REALLY pisses me off. I just spent three days getting this set up and thinking "gee, the colors aren't as bright as I thought they would be." Now I have spent hours customizing this bird and it takes a lack of reflection under my bright office lights to click. Now I need to figure out whether it's worth switching and whether I will be charged a restocking fee!

This vexes me. I am vexed.

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you use a program like CCC to clone your hard drive, you can have a new MBP set exactly like your current one once you reinstall the program on said MBP and run it.

9. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

They shouldn't charge you - it was their fault. If they try to, just lay down the law. It was their mistake, you didn't just change your mind or something.

10. Area51Tazz macrumors member

I concur!

11. zeesa macrumors member

Yes I agree... just be really nice but firm. They want to help you if you're nice!