Did I get a shady Radeon 7950? No boot screen...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrono1081, Sep 5, 2013.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

I ordered an ATI Radeon 7950 Mac edition from OWC and I'm wondering if I got a shady one. Here's what I mean:

When the box arrived it was obvious it was opened (the sticker was gone, the stuff inside was cluttered about, the sleeves the CDs were in were wrinkled and one CD was actually out of the sleeve). Whatever, it may have been a return or something, that doesn't bother me.

However, my understanding was that by ordering the Mac edition it would give me the boot screen which is essential since I have windows on a separate drive, not a separate partition (so I have to hold command during startup to switch between Windows and Mac). Anyway, there is no boot screen.

Also in "About this Mac" it only detects the card as an ATI Radeon 7xxx not a Radeon 7950.

Anyone have one of these cards and can verify that what I listed above is normal?

2. Compile macrumors member

All AMD cards report their series and not what the physical card actually is. You can dive a bit deeper into system info and find it.

As for the packaging sounds like you either got a return or someone opened it prior to shipping.

3. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

From OWC

The HD 7950 Mac Edition is compatible with Apple Mac Pro models from 2009 and later with an available PCI-Express x16 slot. Two six-pin power cables required are supplied with the card. A driver disk is provided which enables the card to be used with Mac OS X 10.7.5 (Lion), 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion) or later.

The HD 7950 Mac Edition can also be used in the latest PC architectures. It has Dual Firmware support via a simple Firmware (Dual BIOS) switch. In one position the Sapphire HD 7950 Mac Edition supports Mac OS X/Windows under non-UEFI compliant mode and in the other it supports Windows with UEFI hybrid firmware enabled. A Windows driver disk is also included.

OWC support line can help.

4. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

I think that car has a PC mode and a Mac mode. See if there is a switch on the card itself.

5. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

Sorry I forgot to update this thread, it was indeed the switch. After I changed it I could see it in the "About this Mac".

Thank you all for the suggestions :D