Did I get a virus or what ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Webb, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Webb macrumors regular

Webb

I got this used iBook G4 got the OS X 10.4 and reformated,went on line as usual after a couple days,don't remember how it happened but, after closing Firefox my desktop icons were all over the place and the dock icons some were missing and others that I didn't have before were there with (?)

I did another reformat now seems fine.

Is this usual ?

Thank you

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's weird but we can be pretty certain it wasn't a virus. Since you've reformatted it's quite difficult to work out what the problem may have been. Post back if it happens again. :)

3. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Like Mad Jew said, it's pretty certain it is no virus. I'm also pretty sure it can't be caused by Firefox.

Do you remember what you did before you used firefox? Maybe something with the user accounts? Or some other settings?

4. Simmerl macrumors member

It's no virus.
    I don't want to question your intelligence, but please take into consideration that Firefox's default downloads directory is the Desktop ...

5. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

I've had a SIMILAR problem b4, where I would start up my system and my Icons would be all over the Desktop and my HD icon would never be stay in the same place!
    But after a while everything stayd in place. yes the default for downloading in FF is the desktop. thsi sound s more like a HW problem than a SW issue and I can't see FF at fault here. I've downloaded a lot of stuff onto my system and have had NO issues except the number of Gigs getting smaller....and smaller........and smaller....But a virus?! I agree withe very one else it can't be!!!

6. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

I've had a SIMILAR problem b4, where I would start up my system and my Icons would be all over the Desktop and my HD icon would never be stay in the same place!
    But after a while everything stayd in place. yes the default for downloading in FF is the desktop. thsi sound s more like a HW problem than a SW issue and I can't see FF at fault here. I've downloaded a lot of stuff onto my system and have had NO issues except the number of Gigs getting smaller....and smaller........and smaller....But a virus?! I agree with every one else it can't be!!!

:apple: