Did i get bamboozled by Best Buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Amnak, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Amnak macrumors 6502

Hi I need some help figuring out if i got gipped 300 smackers.

So i had a 15 inch 07 MBP and at the time my parents bought it for me for xmas it was 2000$, then i bought the warranty and 3 years later it went kaputt just in time to get the refund. Best Buys warranty is spec for spec so they gave me enough to get the low end 15. Does any one now if the 15 i got in 07 was the mid priced one like the current one is? In a way I'm asking if i should have gotten 2000$? I haven't spent the money yet as I'm waiting for the new MBP line but i need to know if i should go to BB and fight for the money?

thanks for the help:D

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You didn't tell us what the specs are of your MBP. There were 2 base models in the 15" size in 2007.

3. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

See i didn't know that and I dont think they did either i don't have it now is there any way to figure it out?

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If they paid $2000, it probably was the low-end 15".

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, if you know the month of the purchase or the CPU speed.
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/index-macbookpro.html

PS: Strangely I'm confused, as you mentioned a 2007MBP, which you must have gotten at Christmas in 2007 and may have been purchased maybe a month earlier, but you state that the machine went kaputt (wow, dictionary knows a german word) three years later, which would be in 10 to 11 months. Are you by any chance from the future?

[​IMG]

You probably had this machine: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...k-pro-core-2-duo-2.2-15-santa-rosa-specs.html

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

well, getting something replaced for a few hundred dollars is better than getting a bag of coal. Your computer you are going to get (under the replacement) is going to be faster than what you had from 07', naturally.

A co worker had a MBP replaced from Apple a year ago. He had an old Santa Rosa, and they replaced with a base uni-body. His SR was NOT the base model, but he was happy that they gave him a new one. I understand that you would the same tier replacement, but it IS Best Buy. Good Luck.

7. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha you caught me from the future hahaha .. on a serious note yes thats my comp found the receipt and it says 2.2ghz. Your right i would be just as happy and i shouldn't be greedy.... so is it the 2nd tier... and it had a matte screen if that helps.... talking about it makes me miss it :(

i realized i should have said two xmases later

8. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I am pretty sure the model you had had a dedicated graphics card. The current "low end" MBP has an integrated graphics card. So Best Buy should have at least upgraded you to the mid-range 15" model. Alternatively, doesn't the best buy warranty allow you to take a refund on the purchase price as well?

The reason I suggested the refund is so that you can order a CTO machine from apple with the anti-glare (matte) screen.

9. HBOC macrumors 68020

I would DO that, if you can. If you have a dedicated graphics card, they NEED to do this, for sure. I don't think there will be a problem, once you explain it.

10. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

If you had a dedicated GPU before, go ahead and try for a refund/a MBP with a dedicated GPU. If not, be happy with what Best Buy gave you.

11. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

You should have the 8800GT, which is definitely more powerful than the current 9400M you have.

Just say that you need the more powerful chip, and they should give you the 9600M 256 version.

12. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

His old one would have had the 8600GT and the new ones carry the 9400M+9600GT for the dedicated chip.

13. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

My bad. I get confuzzled when I think of my 8800GTS 92 in my Hackintosh.

14. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you all for the help I'll try and get the $ back... those matte screens are tempting especially since that is what i had. I'll post back with what happens!!!

15. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I didnt even read what you put, you said best buy so yes.

16. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Only the mid-range and high-end models have the 9400m + 9600 cards. The mid range has the 256 MB version, whereas the high-end has the 512MB version. I think its only fair for the OP to get at least the mid-range model since he did have a dedicated graphics card on the original system.

Note that the OP got the low-end MBP (which only has the 9400m integrated card).

Good Luck!

17. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Any updates? I hope they took care of you OP!

18. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

This is terrible advice. The 8600GTm (what you used to have) out-performs the 9400m (what you now have). Best Buy should have replaced the laptop with the mid-range 15" (which has both the 9400m and the 9600GTm), period.

Apple themselves (well, Applecare) have tried to pull this one on several people before and once the performance differences above were pointed out, they did the right thing.

Whether the person who set up the exchange actually knew what they were doing or not is another thing, so don't assume that they intentionally scammed you.

19. MBPLurker macrumors member

Read the Best Buy terms and conditions. They'll replace with the model MOST similar (model-wise, proc wise, ram-wise, gpu-wise) NOT to exceed original purchase price.

They replaced a low-tier MBP with a low tier MBP. The processor and RAM are upgrades over the 2007 MBP, the GPU is not. If you need the GPU power, pay the difference out of pocket.