Did I get screwed with my new purchase from eBay?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by born4sky, Mar 1, 2009.

1. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

Hi guys, I want to share my thoughts about one concern that is driving me insane. I would like to hear your opinions regarding the situation:
    This Tuesday I found an Hp Blackbird on e-bay for an insanely low price; I decided to bid on it last minute. I was driving from work and when the time was right, I parked to bid from my iPhone, and this damn thing wouldn’t let me bid. I was so frustrated, that I almost threw out this f@cking phone out of the window.
    Then I decided to email the seller and offer him $100 more for the item- he agreed. I sent the money through PayPal, he gave me his phone number just in case, and promised to ship it on Wednesday and provide me with tracking number. The tracking number that he gave me doesn’t work, even though when I called UPS they told me that it is correct number, but they have no info about it. The seller apologized about what was going on and told me he didn’t know what was going wrong, swearing that the item was picked up by ups from his house by the same women that does it all the time, he even offered to return my money back.
    Things happen with UPS, but I went to eBay and he is no longer a registered user and this happened right after I just calmed down. However, the reason he was selling the Blackbird was that he bought a laptop and no longer needs this one; you can see that he did actually purchase it through his feedback. Everything Just makes me so confused! If he wanted to screw me why would he even bother to pick up phone on me and explaining things?
    Not it’s killing me, I have to wait till this Wednesday to find out the real truth. What do you think? Did I get screwed? Or I am just overreacting?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I wouldn't worry too much about the UPS thing - I've seen it take as much as three business days to start showing anything for a tracking number, and today being Sunday that could add to the delay.

I'm more concerned about his being de-listed by eBay. Are you still able to call him, meaning is he still answering the phone and returning your emails? If so, I'd try not to worry until you find out more Wednesday.

If you have a phone number for him, you might be able to use that to track him down, unless it's a prepaid phone. But in the meantime I'd try not to worry too much about it.

3. born4sky thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

Thats the thing, He still answers to me, I have hes phone and hes wife, she text me with tr#.

4. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

Have you tried contacting UPS directly to see if they have have any info on the item internally? I have had issues with tracking info not showing up but usually contacting UPS yields an answer.

5. born4sky thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

as I said, UPS dont have any info, they said there might be an error and I should wait till Wednesday

6. eldy macrumors 6502

Hope you get your item.

One thing to consider is that if he has had previous offenses with the 'Bay then they could have canceled his account.

Usually though, UPS will have info about the package as soon as the number is activated. The day the package is picked up by UPS it should at least show what time it was picked up. Your only hope is that he used an ultra cheapie method of shipping through UPS or that there is a glitch in their system.

Good luck.

7. born4sky thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

Finally it's Wednesday Today, I'll be dying waiting today.

8. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

9. Macmel macrumors 6502

Actually, by-passing the bidding system in e-bay is not allowed. That's what you both did, so the real winner of the bid could not get the item and probably complained. That could be the reason his account has been canceled. Anyway, maybe the guy is legal this time, but I would not do as you did on a regular basis. E-bay and Paypal guarantee your purchase; if you by-pass the system, you are doing exactly what offenders want you to do.

10. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

This is a great tip. By going outside of eBay, you not only screw someone over who is going to be angry and complain, but you also lose all the security features that come with using these sites. The seller is in the perfect position to not send you anything.

Good luck, I hope you get your item!

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Too good to be true price = scam
    Deadling outside of ebay = asking for trouble
    "No longer a registered user" = high chance of scam / hacked account

Phone number can be untraceable, so having a phone number does not really matter.

12. born4sky thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

Still nothing, filed claim with PayPal.
    I never do deals outside of ebay, it just happened to that eBay iPhone application didn't allow me to bid

13. dilbert4life macrumors regular

dilbert4life

Yeah, whatever happened with this?:apple: