Did I get the right upgrade DVD for my G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hostage46, Apr 18, 2009.

1. hostage46 macrumors newbie

Scored a Power mac G5 1.6Ghz for FREE, it was going into the dumpster at work!

I've been jonesing for a Mac to play with iWEB 09, so I've figured out I need the upgraded OS.

Did I order the right thing?

MAC OS X 10.5.4-MEDIA SET

I gather this is the 1st G5, seems to run nicely, any suggested upgrades? I'd like to run entourage an office as well as iWEB

Dan in Dallas....

2. jons macrumors 6502

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yes you bought the first gen G5 and has the slowest processor. Your best bet is to up grade to 4gb of memory. You can buy 4 sticks of 1gb of DDR PC2700 333mhz. They will be more expensive at around $20 a stick but you can also install PC3200 400mhz memory and will run just as good but will downclock to 333mhz. They must also be installed in pairs.

Another thing is to trash the crappy Nvidia card and buy something better. I think I remember that card wasn't even compatible with Core Animation so you won't get the best experience from Leopard.

I can't believe people just trash Macs like that. That's what got me into Macs when the recording studio next door threw out bunch of G4s..... :D been loving Macs ever since then, September 2007.

Sounds like you got the right software. Make sure it's a Retail version and the DVD is black and not gray.