Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tired_Of_The_9-5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
Limbo
Well, I got Space Grey becasue everyone on Twitter gushed Space Grey. It's the more popular color...but now im watching videos, & the white has this reeeeally nice shiny chrome band that sticks out....**** my life.

Will apple let me switch the color of the phone when i go pick it up? (im guessing not, because my phone is tied to my specific carrier and phone number)

Anyone else regretting their color choice now?

P.S. Space Grey is beautiful, but i dunno. first world problems. ignore me. ignore this pointless thread

Last edited:

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
It’s a pretty known fact that you won’t be able to just switch it regardless of stock. You’d need to return the SG and order a silver one and endure the wait.

Reactions: ABC5S

Tired_Of_The_9-5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
Limbo
I got both. Likely go with black though. You don’t use a case?
I was just thinking about that....as much as i would like to go case-less, the phone cost too much to not have one.
[doublepost=1509204304][/doublepost]
It’s a pretty known fact that you won’t be able to just switch it regardless of stock. You’d need to return the SG and order a silver one and endure the wait.
If that's the case, I'll gladly pass & keep my original color lol

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I got silver because the thing holding me back from white/silver lately has been the white front. Now that there’s no white front the silver is much nicer looking in my opinion. And the silver bands are a nice throwback to the original.

And no you can’t switch stock. Honestly your best bet would be to try and get what you want on launch day by waiting in line or trying to trade with someone or something.

In the future don’t just buy whatever you think is most popular or what people are talking about, buy the one that you personally like.

csilvia

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
Rhode Island
I chose the silver because the space grey glass will show more fingerprints and scratches. Even with a case, I believe the space grey will never look as "new" as the silver. Just look at the jet black finish on the iPhone 7.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I contemplated silver too as I always get back, space gray, jet black etc. because of the black face. Now that the face is what it is, I thought about it, but still went with SG.

The irony is that I always have a case on it, so it really doesn't matter LOL!

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Good thing there is no white version of the X.

If you’re talking about the Silver version which was the one shown at the keynote. You’ve had over a month to pick. Either way who cares. The moment you slap a case on it to flatten the awful camera bump you won’t see the back or side bands anymore. There’s no front colored bezel on the X. So you’ll be the only one who knows what version you have.

Reactions: Tim7

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Well, I got Space Grey becasue everyone on Twitter gushed Space Grey. It's the more popular color...but now im watching videos, & the white has this reeeeally nice shiny chrome band that sticks out....f*ck my life.

Will apple let me switch the color of the phone when i go pick it up? (im guessing not, because my phone is tied to my specific carrier and phone number)

P.S. Space Grey is beautiful, but i dunno. first world problems. ignore me. ignore this pointless thread

I'm glad I found this post. I've got exactly the same feeling! Been watching videos today and realised how nice the white/silver combo looks, reminds me a lot of the white 4S i had (and loved). Sure i'll like the space grey but I do wish I'd ordered the white now :(

Reactions: Tired_Of_The_9-5

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Well, I got Space Grey becasue everyone on Twitter gushed Space Grey. It's the more popular color...but now im watching videos, & the white has this reeeeally nice shiny chrome band that sticks out....f*ck my life.

I feel the same, I only went for Silver cause I thought I had a better launch day chance. But now I know I could have got SG. I have a 8am pickup time on 11/3 and they said if they have a SG 256 they will switch it with me. Since I have the first time window of the day my chances are very good!!

Tired_Of_The_9-5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
Limbo
I'm glad I found this post. I've got exactly the same feeling! Been watching videos today and realised how nice the white/silver combo looks, reminds me a lot of the white 4S i had (and loved). Sure i'll like the space grey but I do wish I'd ordered the white now :(
no one understands our first world struggles :(

Reactions: LarryJoe33

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Somewhere out there someone ordered a silver and regrets it. I’d stand outside the Apple store on launch day with a sigh that said anyone want to trade their silver for a gray? Lol then just make sure they paid full price and it works on your carrier.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If it’s in stock they’ll let you swap it no problem. They always have. The stock is going to be the problem, as is generally the case in launch day.

I think both phone looks at her great. I chose SG but I’d have been happy with either.

JSB1540

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
I chose the silver because the space grey glass will show more fingerprints and scratches. Even with a case, I believe the space grey will never look as "new" as the silver. Just look at the jet black finish on the iPhone 7.
I choose the silver also. This was mainly because I wanted a change from space grey and jet black. Also like the stainless band. My experience is that my Jet Black 7 plus has absolutely NO scratches or micro abrasions after over a year. I use an apple leather case.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Given the fact that with the X, the front is all screen, color selection is less important, plus if you throw a case on it, then there's no point in regards to the color.

Given the wait times, I'd not worry about it, wait for delivery, take a look and see if you like it

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Given the fact that with the X, the front is all screen, color selection is less important, plus if you throw a case on it, then there's no point in regards to the color.

Given the wait times, I'd not worry about it, wait for delivery, take a look and see if you like it
You ordered one as well?

Tired_Of_The_9-5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
Limbo
Next time order both, keep the one you want, sell the other, profit.
honestly, I can use this Grey version until the December Shipments come out. then if i want, I can sell it and order the silver. But I'm happy with my grey. To be honest, originally before preorders went live; I didn't give a damn which color i had. As long as i got one.
I just had a mild case of "Wanting something you can't have"

Reactions: pat500000

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
You can't go wrong with either color, they both look amazing this time.

Not to mention, it's really not that big of a deal since both have a black front. If you put it in a case, can't even tell what color it is.

I couldn't decide either, ended up ordering both, one for delivery and one for pickup LOL.

Right now, I'm leaning with silver :D

rantor49

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
The Silver is more of a pearl white this time. Really nice and different from the old silver. And the Silver stainless steel band and black front ties it all together well imo.

Reactions: macsplusmacs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.