Did I go over-board

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Dec 13, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So I bought my 3 year old daughters and my wife a Wii yesterday for Christmas. I normally wouldn't have done this but I had a 150 dollar gift card from bestbuy and if I were to buy this, now would be the time,

I'm suffering a little from buyers remorse because it seems like an extravagant gift especially given their age. I think they'll like it and use it. Heck they want to play games on my iPhone

2. Queso macrumors G4

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the Wii is a great gift idea! especially for the youngings! get her games that aid with learning and development and you will have a brainy kid, one thats good with technology too! :D

4. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's what I was thinking but the wife and I set a budget for Christmas gifts and we lived within that, if you exclude the Wii. Its just that as a parent you don't want to send the wrong message. I don't think I'll return it, but I do wonder about it :/

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You didn't go overboard at all, they'll love it. Last Christmas was the Wii Christmas for us. Everyone had a blast.

6. 3121 macrumors member

you didnt go overboard. I sometimes feel like that but when you see the joy on their face its worthwhile!

7. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

The Wii is very good. There is software (games) out there to aid learning, development and fitness.

Try not to think of it as an XBox or Playstation as it isn't like those devices.

And you mention budget, you also mention that you have a $150 gift card, so don't dwell on that too much either.

Just be happy that your daughters will love it and as they get older then can buy new games for it. Plus it'll go down a treat at their parties.

And if your wife likes it, added bonus

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Agreed if you buy the games that promote learning and fitness, it would turn out to be the perfect gift for developing minds. Even if you buy the fun games, it still isn't going overboard. :)

9. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

Hey, you had to spend the giftcard on something (unless you wanted to donate that $$ to Best Buy ;)), so you got something the whole family can enjoy! Good on you! Not too extravagant at all. Happy holidays!

10. theLastBeatle macrumors member

their 3 for goodness sake. they don't know how much it costs so how can you be sending the wrong message. all they'll see is that they got a gift that's really fun, not, dad payed major cash for a gaming station. I don't see anything wrong with them getting a really fun gift for Christmas. if your that worried just break it out now and don't attach any Christmas rituals to it.

it's the quantity that will spoil them at this age most likely. getting massive amounts of gifts. they don't think dollars amount yet. I'd be more concerned with having a game system in the house that will take away from their reading time. though I wonder if that's even true since I didn't have an atari and still do t read as much as my friends that did.

I think what's most important is your relationship with your kids. how you teach them to solve problems with patience and how to communicate and be social.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's definitely not going overboard. The Wii has great games for little kids to help them learn and your wife will get a lot of use out of it if she wants to exercise. Good job!

12. sypherod macrumors newbie

I agree with everyone. It should be a good fun surprise for your family when they see it.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you went way overboard. what were you thinking?

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No one here really knows if that purchase was going overboard. Please provide your last 5 years' 1040s and the last 12 months of all pay stubs in your household. Also, a copy of your mortgage note, credit card balances, auto loan(s), investment accounts, pension or other retirement funds, photos showing the maintenance items needing attention on your house, age of your children, college savings balance, other sources of income, age of your parents and expected inheritance, etc. etc. etc. ;)

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

And we have a winner! :D

/thread

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Thank you daddy. We love you more than mommy.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

watch "mommy" get all the credit haha

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nah not really. Back when I was 10 or so I asked for an N64 for Christmas and they bought a PS1 as well. For the family it's worth it. This year my folks bought Rock Band 2 (+extra guitar and MS points)... well we all pitched in but yea. If it's for the family it's not such a bad thing :).

But yea the Wii's a good choice. There are kids games, hardcore games, mature games, classic downloadable games. The whole spectrum is out there.

19. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

20. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

you shoulda bought them a Pong system and let the lil bastards learn about video games from scratch LOL

21. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

How young is your wife?

22. Surely Guest

Surely

I had a Pong system when I was a kid. That thing was awesome.

He's talking about his 3 year old daughters.........