Did I go too "HDR" ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fate0311, Sep 27, 2016.

1. fate0311 macrumors 6502

So I did took some exposures (-/+ one stop plus normal exposure) and manually masked each one in PSP and played with it.

Thoughts?

-C

[​IMG]

2. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

3. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

No, not at all. Very nicely done.

4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Agree with others. This is how HDR should look.

5. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

6. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

I think you have been very well behaved. It looks nicely subtle and while I am not a fan of HDR, I dont think this is over done in the way that they normally are.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

8. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

Nice composition. HDR not over the top. At least I didn't grit my teeth. If you want HDR I think you nailed it well.

On another note, accepting that you shot at a wide aperture, I can't find the focus point. Nothing is particularly sharp. Is this a function of HDR?

9. adamneer macrumors 6502

I agree with those saying the HDR effect seems just right, and I agree specifically with this post, that the focus is hard to determine. Zooming in, it appears to be an unfortunate result of having such a detailed focal subject and using too small an aperture and/or not the best lens for good focal depth.

But otherwise, I really like the colors and overall, it's a really nice photo. I too, hate the overdone, fake HDR effect that has become so overused in recent times. It's just as annoying as when people use a way too high pixel threshold for sharpening, resulting in hideous thick contrasty edges...

10. fate0311, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016

fate0311 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feedback. I think due to the wind against the grass combined with three different frames it killed the focus when blended.

I focused between the two windows but i agree not impressed with how that focused, unless its the texture of the cedar shakes doing it.

I'm going to test all focus points this weekend especially with the talk of some 5DIV's potentially having AF issues.

It is also possible the AF had an issue due to the texture of the cedar shakes, there is not much deviation for the AF to pick up and pin point an AF point. May have just confused it.

11. UnclePaulie macrumors regular

I am usually not a fan of HDR, but no i don't think you went overboard here.
    I do agree with comments above about the lack of sharpness which in this case is most likely secondary to the blending of three exposures, happened to me often back when I used to play with HDR myself.
    You said that you shot this as normal exposure +/- 1 stop. With the DR of a modern sensor, I think you could have achieved the same result by shooting one normal to slightly underexposed shot in RAW and selectively bringing up shadows & down highlights, and because it's only one exposure there would be no motion blur.

12. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

As far as HDRs go, I think this one is quite tastefully done. It looks like an HDR, though, if that makes any sense, but it doesn't go overboard. In case your goal was to produce an image that reveals itself to be an HDR only at the second or third glance, then the effect is too strong.

Personally, I'd reduce the saturation a tad, though.

13. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

My sensibilities are generally offended when viewing HDR composites, but outside of the flowers in foreground right I think you exercised admirable restraint.

14. fate0311 thread starter macrumors 6502

made me laugh!

15. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

That Instagram miniature effect strip in focus the rest blurred effect is my pet peeve... Does my tits in when my friends post what they think are awesome pictures on Facebook using that effect..

Instagram should be jailed for crimes against photographic arts!

16. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

You need better friends! ;)

17. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

My inner Jane Austen gets the better of me more than I care to admit...