Did I inadvertently re-lock my iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kennyholl, Jan 3, 2012.

1. kennyholl macrumors newbie

I bought an iPhone 3G on eBay that was supposedly unlocked. After I got it, I put in my sim card, made a call with it, and since it all seemed hunky-dory, I took the card back out, and waited two weeks until Christmas to give it to my daughter as a present. Then, since it had been a couple weeks, I plugged it into my Mac to recharge the battery, put in her sim card, and now the phone just keeps searching and searching looking for a signal. (Also when I try to import the contacts from the sim card, it blinks for a second, but doesn't import.) I also took the sim card out of my son's phone and tried that in the phone. It had the same problems (searching for a signal, couldn't import contacts). By attaching the phone to the Mac, did I somehow re-lock the phone? The phone has Cydia installed, not that I know what that does, other than imply it was jailbroken. I brought it to the T-Mobile store (that's my carrier), but the guy there wasn't too familiar with iphones and couldn't help, and I brought it to the apple store, and they couldn't help because they said it's been jailbroken. What do I do?

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Before giving you instruction on how to make it works, please provide the following info;

1. What is the firmware version on the phone?
    2. What is the modem firmware (baseband) on the phone?

You get get these info by going to Setting/General/About and look at VERSION & MODEM FIRMWARE.

3. kennyholl thread starter macrumors newbie

Version 4.2.1 (8C148)
    Modem Firmware 05.15.04

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Yup. You have locked the phone. Ultrasn0w can support this baseband.

Unless this phone is carrier unlocked (factory unlocked), you will have to either change the baseband of this phone so it can be unlocked with Ultrasn0w.

1. Do you know where this originate from? US or Oversea?

2. Try to turn off (disable) 3G and see if you can pick up signal.

3. If you can't get signal by doing #2 above, then download and install Tiny Umbrella, run it with your phone hook up to it and see what bootloader you have on your phone, if it has 05.08 bootloader, then you can downgrade it down to a lower version which can be unlocked with ultrasn0w. Otherwise, you will have to go to the ipad baseband which is okay to unlock your phone but its will kill the GPS functionality of the phone.

5. kennyholl thread starter macrumors newbie

1. I assume US, since the seller was in Cleveland.
    2. I can get wi-fi from my home if that's what you mean
    3. Do I download it from the internet on my phone, or do I download it on my computer, and hook up my phone to it? If the latter, does it matter if I use my Mac or PC? I'd rather use my PC just because I'm usually extra-cautious not to screw up my Mac which would put me out of business for awhile, although it's faster than my PC.

6. Crystal-RX, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If this phone came from the US, then it is locked to AT&T. It is locked right now.

So, if you want to unlock it. Here is what you need to do (Assume you have Cydia on your phone already)

1. Dowload redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 onto your computer.
    2. Download Iphone 3 4.2.1 firmware onto your computer.
    3. Run redsn0w 0.9.6rc16, then click on "install Ipad baseband"
    4. Once you are done, go into Cydia, search for Ultrasn0w, install it.
    5. Reboot your phone, disable 3G in network setting, put in your T-Mobile sim and it will pick up signal.

By the way, www.iclarified.com has all step by step tutorial for you to do this.

7. kennyholl thread starter macrumors newbie

Now things seem even worse.
    1. I downloaded both things, hit "run" for redsn0w
    2. browsed it to iPhone 1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore (this was the file I downloaded for my iPhone 3G)
    3. hit next and the computer did a bunch of things
    4. clicked on Install iPad baseband (Install Cydia and Enable battery percentage were also checked) and hit next
    5. made sure the phone was turned off and plugged in and hit next
    6. followed the directions of holding down the power button and other button
    7. then the screen said "Fetching iPad baseband files (please be patient)"
    and then it disappeared. That was awhile ago - at least 15-20 minutes, with no indication anything is happening. Now what?

By the way, after going into www.iclarified.com, where do I go? I saw alot of choices for unlocking or untethering (What is untethering?) an iphone 3gs, but not an iphone 3g. Is the process different?

(And the reason it's worse is that now the phone won't even turn on)

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX