Did I just buy a MAcBook Slo?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr. Bubbles, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Mr. Bubbles macrumors member

Mr. Bubbles

Well, I kind of "need" one for shcool, but not really, I just couldn't wait much longer, call it an impulse buy-I bought a 1.83ghz core duo MBP off of ebay! (CRINGE)

I'm not sure why I did it, I mean it was a great deal, ($910 with free shipping and a retail copy of leopard) but it doesn't even have a warranty and new MBPs are coming out soonish:eek:

The heaviest thing I'll do on it is play a little civ4 and spore, but still, have I just bought an antique?!?!

Is it destined to die within 6 months?! what was I thinking? Why am I asking so many rhetorical questions on a forum?!!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You bought a system that is two years old, and you just now think it will be slow.

It will be a fine machine, and spore should work, as should most games for the time being.

TEG

3. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

I just sold my 1.83GHz CD MB with Applecare on ebay for $899 shipped. I guess somebody got a better deal than you did. :p

EDIT: never mind, I thought u bought a MB.

4. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Either way, a very constructive post. :rolleyes:

Honestly, what do you think? It's a 1.83 GHz dual-core machine..... that's still a pretty damn fast machine.... and when you think about it, not much slower than what's out now.

A 1.83 GHz Core Solo is about equivalent to a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 w/HT; a 1.83 GHz Core Duo is, well, often twice as fast as that. A 3.2 GHz P4 is still plenty usable.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Honestly, the CD aren't terrible slow. I mean they aren't speed demons, but they are decently specced. I'm still using my 1.66Ghz Mac Mini, and it runs good. I mean I really only use Pages, Safari , iTunes and iCal daily, but its great for that stuff.

Throw some RAM in, and you'll be good for a while.

6. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I bought an iMac this year thats got the same chip, its a very fast machine for everything I've put it through. You'll love it.

7. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Like others said, the machine is fairly decent when it comes to specs.

I think I would be worried about the condition of the machine- how was it used, if it ever was serviced.... I am always paranoid when it comes to dealing on eBay.

8. akm3 macrumors 68020

It's a decent machine, but I don't think the price you paid was good when you can get a current gen refurb for only a tiny bit more.

But I wouldn't worry about it, it'll be great.

9. Mr. Bubbles thread starter macrumors member

Mr. Bubbles

? Last I checked the apple store, the cheapest current gen refubs are 1450 without tax:eek: As a high school student with like 1100, I don't have a whole lot to spend on a Lappletop.

I figure it won't be too slow though, I mean I use to use a 2.0ghz core duo macbook and it was OK.

I guess my biggest concern is that it is out of warranty and that the first run MBP's hardware is supposed to be about as reliable as windows is to software:) Still it's supposed to be running fine according to the owner, so I don't know, whatever, but thanks for the insight nonetheless everyone! I'll just have to wait and see if it it survives another six months lol.

10. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I'm on my second year at college with the machine in my sig.

I still do photoshop (while slow), video chat (with xbox livevision camera), put together slide shows and presentation in keynote, use word, excel, powerpoint regularly, email, web surfing, music, movies etc.

It does everything that 90% of the population needs in a computer.

Your machine is much faster and will easily last 4 years of college.

11. Mr. Bubbles thread starter macrumors member

Mr. Bubbles

Thanks everyone for talking me down, lol, I was about to try to turn this baby around on ebay, but I think I'll stick with it as I just found out it has apple care :)