Did I just drop the ball?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yodinyer, Jul 13, 2008.

1. yodinyer macrumors newbie

So in an attempt to make this iPhone more "sellable" I put the new 2.0 firmware on it. However I was unaware of any new security measures added to the new firmware. Now, it says I can't access the unit unless I insert a sim card. Thing is, the iPhone was attained through unsure methods... we got it as a gift, but we really don't know where the gift giver got it from. I don't have a sim card. What to do now? I heard people on craigslist are offering an arm and a leg to get a hold of even 1st gen iPhones, but did I effectively make this thing unappealing in the eyes of craigslisters since it can't be jailbroken (at least for the time being)?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Give it a few days, and we shall see a release of the jailbreaking software.

3. yodinyer thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured the jailbreak for 2.0 would come out sooner or later (sooner I'm sure) but I'm trying not to miss out on the opportunity to sell this thing for whatever the people are trying to pay for them right now. I just got an offer for $250, I haven't told him that I upgraded it to 2.0 yet, should I?

Also, tomorrow I'll have access to a valid cingular sim card. So I was wondering... "activating" iphone = signing up for 2 year contract? Or does "activating" iphone really mean just activating the phone and verifying the existing contract that's already on the sim?

Any help on the matter would be sincerely appreciated. I'm pulling my hair out cause of this, I really hope i didn't mess up here...

4. geeb macrumors regular

Donwgrade to 1.1.4:

Here is the guide we wrote. irc.osx86.hu #iphone for more support.

5. yodinyer thread starter macrumors newbie

geeb you're a lifesaver. I guess the only concern I have left is regarding the "activation" of iPhones.

activating iphone = signing up for 2 another year contract? Or does "activating" iphone really mean just activating the phone and verifying the existing contract that's already on the sim?

6. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

if you downgrade to 1.1.4 and then use pwnage, or ziphone to unlock it you will not be signing any type of contract. you dont even need a SIM card if you do it that way.

7. geeb macrumors regular

8. yescurvyswab macrumors member

9. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Firmware 2.0 PWNS Ziphone

Thats what Ziphone gets for stealing the code from real breakers.

10. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

let me change up what i said, use pwnage or iliberty, do NOT use Ziphone. i used it and my iphone is a $600(value on ebay) brick and i still dont have a 3G out here in Japan so i am outta a calendar, ipod, notepad, contacts, and everything else that an iphone can do without service. so again dont use Ziphone because it permenantly changes code...