Did I just get a free iPhone X?

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
My order is now "Preparing To Ship" (Nov 3 delivery date) but all of a sudden the charge from Apple on my bank has disappeared. Has this happened to anyone else/ should I be worried/ should I be excited?

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
My order is now "Preparing To Ship" (Nov 3 delivery date) but all of a sudden the charge from Apple on my bank has disappeared. Has this happened to anyone else/ should I be worried/ should I be excited?
Most likely the "hold" disappeared... don't worry, the "charge" is coming.

Reactions: myscrnnm

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
This happens every year. You will be charged. Even if not until after you receive the phone

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
It must feel like winning the lottery!

Don’t worry Apple doesn’t give away free phones.

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2010
That was sarcasm right?
When I read posts like the OP's I like to think of them "uncharging" his credit card then putting the box back on a shelf. "I'm beat. We'll update his order status on Tuesday."

Edit: oh my you are the OP.

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
When I read posts like the OP's I like to think of them "uncharging" his credit card then putting the box back on a shelf. "I'm beat. We'll update his order status on Tuesday."

Edit: oh my you are the OP.
Thanks for your help.

Reactions: rawCpoppa

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If for some reason your charge doesn't go through like you're out of credit or over your balance, then sorry no iPhone for you.

brianric

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
It must feel like winning the lottery!

Don’t worry Apple doesn’t give away free phones.
That's not true. After going through a 3.5 hour debacle trying to pick up my 7 Plus at the Christiana Delaware Apple Store last year the manger gave up and gave me the phone, plus a case, a 50 gift card and Apple Care for free. The store spent 1.5 hours trying to get my 6 Plus off my account (I was on IUP), one hour getting loan approved, then another hour trying to activate the phone on Verizon. The store couldn't print out the receipt, they told me to come back tomorrow. I said I wasn't leaving without a receipt. The manager said the phone is free. I said say what? The manager said Mr Richards, you are walking out of here with a free phone, case, $50 gift card and Apple Care for your troubles.

Reactions: lupend88

Benz63amg

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2010
That's not true. After going through a 3.5 hour debacle trying to pick up my 7 Plus at the Christiana Delaware Apple Store last year the manger gave up and gave me the phone, plus a case, a 50 gift card and Apple Care for free. The store spent 1.5 hours trying to get my 6 Plus off my account (I was on IUP), one hour getting loan approved, then another hour trying to activate the phone on Verizon. The store couldn't print out the receipt, they told me to come back tomorrow. I said I wasn't leaving without a receipt. The manager said the phone is free. I said say what? The manager said Mr Richards, you are walking out of here with a free phone, case, $50 gift card and Apple Care for your troubles.
Hmm.. Yeah right okay cool story bro.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I once bought a Mac in a store. I also bought AppleCare separately. Then I decided I'll upgrade next year, so I returned the AppleCare. I ended up with a Mac with AppleCare, but I wasn't charge for the AppleCare. The store manager said Mister you can leave now. The AppleCare is yours to keep. But don't never come back. I won't call the police because I don't know what kind of scam you just pulled. You're banned from buying here.

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Our actions define our legacy
I once bought a Mac in a store. I also bought AppleCare separately. Then I decided I'll upgrade next year, so I returned the AppleCare. I ended up with a Mac with AppleCare, but I wasn't charge for the AppleCare. The store manager said Mister you can leave now. The AppleCare is yours to keep. But don't never come back. I won't call the police because I don't know what kind of scam you just pulled. You're banned from buying here.
Seriously? They banned you for a mishap you didn't cause?

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
It is like you won the powerball that is 1:350000000 lol.

My point was they didn’t mess up the payment process nor did they mess yours up, they gave you a free phone due to all the hassle and inconvenience.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Seriously? They banned you for a mishap you didn't cause?
Yeah this was in college. I wrote this long email to Apple ... back when few people used Macs and there was no iPhone.

A few weeks later a different store manager called me to say I was welcome back in the store and the former store manager had been "reassigned."

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Same thing happened to me with an Apple Watch purchase. The charge initially showed and then disappeared. When It actually shipped, I still was not charged and then shortly day or so, the charge reappeared on my account.