Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2009
Ohio
I just took my Macbook to the apple store in order to try to fix a "bluetooth unavailable" problem that has left it unable to use bluetooth for the past month. It also had an issue with the LCD front panel separating from the body of the computer, which I figured they would replace since I had apple care. When I got there, they said that they could do a 1 time exception and replace the entire body of the computer, for free!

This was extremely surprising since I thought applecare didn't cover accidental damage, and my Macbook was pretty beat up. It had 2 major dents/bends and scratches all over the bottom, but they still said they would replace it. Does applecare cover this type of damage or did I just get a nice genius who wanted to help me out?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yes you did but I would also venture to guess that you were honest with them about what happened and they opted to fix it. It would seem, based on forums only (which accounts for a limited percent of the population of Mac users) that many people will try to get something fixed for free when they know their warranty doesn't cover it. Maybe your honesty was refreshing and deemed reward. That's a good day right there.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Nope, Apple Care doesn't cover that. Otherwise if anyone with a dent on their machine went to an Apple Store, imagine the chaos that would be. You got lucky in there :D

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2009
Ohio
Well I'm sure glad I got lucky. I think he might have appreciated that I actually knew what I was talking about instead of the majority of the users that come to the genius bar that have no idea how to use the computer they bought. While sitting there waiting for him to put in my information I overheard a couple conversations and it was incredible how little people knew about their macs. I just find it funny that people don't even try to figure things out on their own, and resort to having the genius tell them how to do everything.

But yeah I also was honest with them and told them how the dents happened. The worst was a fall off my desk (about 3ft) while it was open and turned on. This pretty much mangled the bottom right corner and made it hard to even get the battery cover back on. I'm really surprised the Macbook even worked after that one, these things are way more durable than they seem to be :)

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I had a similar experience, when the latch on my MBP stopped latching.

I was out of AppleCare by a few weeks, called them up, and they paid for shipping to and fro and fixed it free. I like. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.