Did I just get screwed over?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kerneltye, Jun 11, 2013.

1. kerneltye macrumors newbie

I just purchased from MacMall this maxed-out rMBP. It looks like a great product at a steal. Clearly, it's too good to be true, because upon conducting research on the model # it looks like it's the June 2012 model, not the 2013 refresh model.

How much of a difference does this make? I'm going to contact MacMall to see what can be done about it. Should I return it and buy the most recent model, or is the difference negligible? I'm using this machine for a great deal of multitasking, possibly photo and video editing down the line, and some gaming every so often. I imagine this will suit my needs just fine, but if the 2013 refresh is that much better, I might go for it.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The 2013 refresh was a very minor tweak. Processors got faster by 0.1Ghz, possibly some other very minor internal changes.

The only reason I would see to return it would be if there were something actually wrong with it when you got it, like image retention on the screen.

3. jcpb macrumors 6502a

The only difference between mid-2012 MBPRs and early-2013 MBPRs is 100 MHz more base CPU speed, and makes zero practical difference in actual usage.

4. kerneltye thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response. The image retention thing - is that something I can tell right out of the box, or will it manifest later? I assume, then, that would be covered under AppleCare, which I purchased with the computer.

ETA: I also assume that the 2013 refreshed rMBPs have the same screen as the mid-2012s, and therefore it's luck of the draw with regard to screen defects?

5. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

just get off the forums and enjoy your new computer

if osmething happens, thats what warranty is for