Did I just harm my MBP? Please help. (Pics)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by swmr, Mar 7, 2008.

1. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

So I MBP was getting pretty hot, and I decided to put it to sleep for a few minutes to cool off. During that time I seemed to have forgotten it was asleep and not off, and I stupidly removed the battery. I didn't realize this until I was ready to turn it back on, and it didn't do so on its own.

When I did turn it on, I got incredibly freaked out. The screen went nuts and nothing was able to be done. Sometimes, a box would show up and I could tell I was supposed to be able to type something (maybe an account name and PW) but if I tried to select anything or move the mouse at all, it would freeze up and beachball for a bit. After a few minutes I decided to just hold the power button and shut down. Started back up and everything appears to be normal.

I was downstairs at the time, so I hurried up to my room to grab a camera and snap some pics. I got one of each "type" of screen I managed to see. I think the weirdest one is of the iTunes artwork layouts, which does happen to be my screen saver. Funny thing: I have been planning on cleaning up my desk and taking some pictures to put in the "Setup" threads in the photo gallery. I suppose it will be partially seen here first though.

Is there ANY information at all that you can give me? What exactly happened? Did I ruin anything? Is there anything I can do now to find a problem? All I know is this baby is only a week and a half old, but I do fortunately have applecare and TM running...

P.S. I hope there is no limit on number of pictures per post. I still don't know all the forum rules.

EDIT: The SECOND picture is what I saw first except the whole screen had that pattern. The black box was there after I got a camera. The THIRD picture is one with a text box that appeared to be type-able but caused temporary freezing.

Attached Files:

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It's fine unless it repeatedly does it again. Probably just some weird glitch with the firmware of the new machines or something.

If it does keep doing it, then best to talk to Apple or whoever you bought it off. I doubt you'll need to do this though...

3. swmr thread starter macrumors regular

swmr

Uhh well something new may be wrong. My last backup with TM was today at 5:15. After that I unplugged and went downstairs. That is when my story from above happened. Now when I am trying to back up, it just says "Preparing Backup" unless I stop it manually. I tried ejecting and starting over, but the same thing happens. Any ideas?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

as this starting happening after you removed battery while it was still running it may be a power management issue. reset the PRAM by holding "command-option-P-R" on startup for two boot chimes (second one is really loud).

if theres still a problem after that i would see a genius. ive removed my battery while my MBP was still on and it was fine so its not your fault.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just let it prepare it may be doing a deep traversal of your backups. just let it do its thing overnight and it should make a backup when its finished. during this process it may not use your external so you can let it spin down by ticking "Put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" in Energy Saver preferences. the external will spin up when its time to backup.

6. swmr thread starter macrumors regular

swmr

Yea I posted in another thread started by somebody who had the same problem, just not causued by removing the battery. As soon as I clicked submit, the TM backup finished. I didn't actually see it copy any data, but I don't think any changes were made. I guess I just needed to give it time. I have done like 6 more since then just to keep trying it out. Maybe it was just bad timing.