Did I just lose everything due to Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Haqq, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Haqq macrumors member

I ran bootcamp made a partition so then I installed windows xp and it prompted me to format a drive to NTFS so it can install so I did that assuming that it was the partition drive was not sure though. Now I'm trying to boot into OSX and I will not let me I restarted the PRAM still all I see is this screen when I load of my mac book holding option key.

http://imgur.com/5vbyI.jpg

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You most likely erased the wrong partition, if this is the case you are out of luck and need to reinstall OS X.

3. simsaladimbamba

Yep, seems you have deleted the Mac OS X partition.

To verify, either boot from the grey Restore DVD, that came with your Mac or a Retail DVD you bought later or the Recovery Partition (CMD+R) to open Disk Utility from the Menu Bar > Tools (?).

If the Mac OS X partition is really gone, and you do not employ any backups and need data from that Mac OS X "partition", you should get an external USB HDD (does not matter which) and install Mac OS X onto that HDD* and then use one of the following applications to hopefully recover data.

To retrieve files, that have been deleted and also been emptied from the Trash or are on unrecognisable partitions or HDDs or on accidentally formatted partitions or HDDs, you can use

• Data Rescue 3 - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • FileSalvage - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • DiskDrill - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (79 USD)
    • Nice To Recover - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (69.95 USD)

[​IMG]

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

You have a backup of your OSx partition, right?

5. Haqq thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately... No. :(