Did I just ruin my macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weidmark, Jan 11, 2013.

1. weidmark macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a mid 2010 15" macbook pro. I found it to be running a little slow on bootup and read that an SMC reset could be done which could fix the issue. After doing the SMC reset, the superdrive stopped working. It would spit the disc out after about 5 seconds. After trying a couple more discs, the superdrive wont even grab the disc at all or spit it back out. If I restart the computer, I can hear the drive doing something (same sort of sound as it makes when accepting a disc. So I did the SMC reset again, but this time when booting up, the fans have ramped up to full and will not stop. Also the battery symbol has an X through it and no light is on on the power adaptor. I have also noticed the backlight on the keyboard will not light up. This laptop has been extremely well cared for. I am on my last semester of school and was hoping it would last until at least then. Is there any sort of hard reset of everything?

Please help.

Thanks

2. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I would do it once more and clean all of your caches, plus a disk perms repair too.

3. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

HDD reformat?
    Try diff HDD?
    I'm at a loss on this one.

4. weidmark thread starter macrumors newbie

5. krravi macrumors 65816

Open the back cover and remove the battery connector to the logic board. Wait a few mins and connect it back again and try to boot your laptop.

You can try it out of curiosity and see what happens.

6. weidmark thread starter macrumors newbie

Was going to try this but I couldnt seem to find the connector (figured it was under the battery) and didnt have a tri screwdriver to remove the screw.

However, I did keep trying the SMC reset and maybe after the 8th time i seem to have gotten my computer back. Everything works except the optical drive, which I need to install Windows 7. I dont understand why it would stop working... i probably only ever used it 10 times sinces I bought it.