Did I kill my battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badlydrawnboy, May 9, 2011.

1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

I have a one-month old Macbook Pro. It was accidentally left unplugged last night (the plug was loose in the socket and fell out), and it was open with a program running so it didn't go to sleep and the battery completely died.

I plugged it back in, and now it looks like this:

[​IMG]

The problem is that the progress bar stopped moving about 2 hours ago, and is stuck in the same place.

Is this bad? Did I kill it?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I would just turn it off and let it charge. I doubt you did any damage to the battery.

3. lauph macrumors regular

It is just waking up from hibernation. (normal)
    and it just hung reading the ram image (not normal)

just force kill shutdown it. (solution)

4. MacBookPr0, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011

MacBookPr0 macrumors regular

Yeah the booting like that is normal but the Long boot time isn't so as others have said, just force shut it down by holding down the power button and then turnig it on and see if it happens again

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't harm your battery to completely drain it. In fact, that's required when calibrating, which is usually done every month or two. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

6. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

you should be fine. The computer froze while coming back from safe sleep (which is what happens when the battery is completely depleted). IMO safe sleep is a good concept but I usually freeze or get a KP a lot of the time. Hold the power button for 10 seconds to turn the computer completely off, and then back on.

7. pedrofan macrumors 6502

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are too many on the web who blindly recommend this without understanding what they do. PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with power, battery or charging issues, so resetting it is a waste of time for these issues. Resetting SMC is only done after other troubleshooting methods have failed. A reset of SMC can address power issues, but the case in this thread does not require it. The OP simply let their battery completely drain. It's not harmful to the battery when this happens and no SMC reset is necessary.