Did I lose my Time Machine Backups?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ace2617, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Ace2617 macrumors regular

Ace2617

Hi everyone,

I've been having a ton of problems with time machine since updating to 10.12, but today has been the worst.

I plugged the drive in, and it gave me a warning about the disk being unencrypted. I tried to go into settings to see if it wanted me to change it, and I'm pretty sure it deleted all of my previous backups. Before, when I'd backup, it always told me when my oldest backup of this drive was. Now, it's gone.

When I go into Time Machine by actually clicking the TM logo, it does take me "back through time" where I can see stuff from previous months, but I don't think my MacBook recognizes it anymore. Is there a way to check if I still have my backups? Is there something in particular that I can look for?

Thanks, I've never had this happen before, so any help is appreciated.

2. chscag macrumors 68000

The best way to check is open one of those backups and see if all the data you backed up is there. Attach your TM external drive, enter TM, and click on a past date by bringing it forward. From there you can open it just like you would in Finder and check to see if all your files were backed up.

3. supermariofan25 macrumors regular

supermariofan25

You can browse through the Time Machine disk manually using Finder.