Did I lose support for a 1st Gen iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DiverGrady, Dec 31, 2010.

1. DiverGrady macrumors newbie

I have an older iPhone (1st Gen) that I am trying to convert to a Touch. The problem is that when I connect the phone to my computer using a USB nothing happens, i.e. iTunes does not find the phone and the phone does not charge.

This is consistent using different cables. All cables work with other phones or iPods. All cables charge the phone when I use a AC wall adapter.

I am confused. Any thoughts.

Grady

2. Al3x87 macrumors member

Try to connect your iPhone to another PC. Maybe, there is the problem.

3. DiverGrady thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, plugged it into two other computers and the problem is the same. Does not open iTunes nor does it begin to charge. Last night I fully charged it using an AC wall adapter and the same USB cable.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Might be a problem with your dock connector, make sure everything is clean and there's no dust or anything down there.

5. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Have you tried restarting the phone?

As far as I know, even the most recent version of iTunes should support all models and software versions. Only thing I can think of is there is something wrong with the service that allows the dock connector to communicate with your computer and restarting it should fix that.

6. DiverGrady thread starter macrumors newbie

The best I can see the connector is clean. Shouldn't a dirty connector perform badly but consistent? Why would a dirty connector still charge from the wall.

I was quite excited about your suggestion to restart the device and/or computer. Unfortunately no luck.

Anyone know how to reset an iPhone w/o having it connected to iTunes? Perhaps this would work.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cant reset or restore an iphone without it beeing plugged into itunes.
    If you tried other usb wires, ports and different computers then its a hardware problem.

8. DiverGrady thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I suppose at this point, after eliminating the other options, I have to agree with you. It just seems very coincidental that my old phone stopped docking/connecting when I got my new phone.

Thanks everyone for the help.