Did I lost my backup forever?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lsquare, Jun 25, 2011.

1. lsquare macrumors 6502

Yesterday I had the latest official version of iTunes installed. Before I went to install iOS 5, I also downloaded and installed the latest iTunes 10.5 beta. Unfortunately I didn't backup the phone again prior to installing iOS 5. Now that it has been installed, I notice that all of my SMS messages and notes are gone. I don't see any indications that the backup is still on my computer. So when installing the latest iTunes beta, did it erase my backup on my Windows laptop? Is there any other way to possibly retrieve my data?

2. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

No, all is not lost. The backup data is stored on your computer somewhere. Just google where it's stored then restore from backup.

3. SR71 macrumors 68000

From what you've said, I'd say that that specific backup is gone, but that you probably have other backups on your Windows laptop from before as there are always multiple backups on my laptop. I don't know where you'd find em, but I'm sure a quick google search could help you with that.

Good luck getting finding you backups! :)

4. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

Does the backup have to be done from iTunes? At the moment, iTunes is still locking me out and I guess that's because my device isn't registered on its developer network.

5. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Yes. Maybe you should have a developer account before you try installing a beta firmware.

6. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

I found the backup in my Windows Directory! Phew! However, I'm not sure if that will have all of my note and SMS data. Will it? So I guess the next step is to get iTunes to backup from it right?

7. SR71 macrumors 68000

Yeah, try it man! No harm in trying, right? :)