Did I make a bad decision?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pe93co, Sep 28, 2012.

1. pe93co, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

pe93co macrumors member

So I have a really broken Sony NR series notebook (Batterys dead earphone jack doesnt work screen frame popped out broken wires sticking out.. etc.)and its been four years, I'm in college now, really needed a new laptop.
    I have been creeping on the refurbished pros in the Apple store for about a month now, and today when I woke up and checked, they had a Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.3GHz dual-core Intel i5 from early 2011 or late 2010 for $799.
    Now I have been considering a late 2011 2.5GHz pro, the $929 one for quite awhile, but my savings would really be pushed to the end if I got that.
    So when the 2.3GHz came out, I quickly reviewed its specs, besides the 320GB HDD, everything seemed to be the same as the current gen. of macbook pro. I was afraid it would be taken soon, so I quickly purchased it and I just got the email with tracking information.

As I went back to its specs again, I noticed its USB ports are still 2.0, which is not surprising considering the year its made. Blue tooth is still 2.1, and a couple other differences.

Now, I'm a girl, and I have been using PCs my entire life. Never really paid attention to macbooks at all, nor am I fully knowledged with computers. But as more I noticed, this is quite of an old product. (yes i think its from 2010.) Did I make a mistake purchasing this? Not that I'm one of those people who buy Apple product just b/c its popular and just have to buy the newest ones. I own a 4S and I absolutely love it. And I just thought having a Mac as my next laptop would create a great ecosystem among my gadgets, plus I have been hearing numerous positive feedbacks among my friends on how great it functions, and that's the most important reason why I chose it in the first place.

But like I said, it's old. I dont know what are the few upcoming big breakthroughs there will be with laptops/macbooks, like a USB 4.0 (I know this is silly it wont till years later but just as an example). I just dont want to regret buying this when its not compatible with a lot of things anymore.

Excuse my wordiness, do you think I should have kept on saving buying a brand new pro or this 2.3GHz will keep me up for the next at least 3 years.

Thanks in advance.

---------------------------
    thought of two more questions,
    1. Since this is a 2010 product, should I be expecting some scratches and wears on the exterior? Have any of you ever gotten a refurb. apple product with wears? It is stated on the apple website that it is possible that there will be some minor ones. (I know I eventually will find out next week when I get it, but I'm just too anxious/excited about this since I have been waiting for this for too long.)

2. Has anybody gotten a refurb. macbook that had problems within the first year of purchase? I mean after all it is a pre-owned product. Although Apple states that it goes through a thorough checkups and it should be just like brand new, is it more prone to have problems soon?

On a separate note, if I were having to exchange this 2010 macbook pro, will I receive a current generation macbook pro? I doubt they have many 2010 macbook pros lying around. Just wondering, not that I will game the system. Busy college life, cant afford to intentionally break stuff and wait around for replacement.

Thank you!

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

We're talking about the 15" MBP right? 2010 13" had Core 2 Duo processors so I'm guessing so. I would say if you haven't the need for huge performance, it's still a very good laptop that will give you every advantage that a MacBook does.

I've heard incredibly good reviews on refurbished Macs, and they usually claim the product looked brand new. I think Apple may replace the enclosure? Not sure.

3. boto macrumors 6502

boto

1. Yes, there may be cosmetic damages, such as dings, scratches, chips, and whatnot. Apple will only guarantee the refurbished products function as if new.

2. Yes, I have received a defective refurbished iMac in the past, but it only died because Apple's corrupted firmware update that destroyed mine, as well as many others graphics cards when installed. Otherwise, you don't have to worry about any issues arising since my 2nd iMac replacement lived an entire year without any problems whatsoever.

3. I would DEFINITELY advise you to return the 2010 model for a 2011+ if you can (Go for a refurbished 2012 if possible since your going to use it for several years). There is going to be several compatibility issues in the near future when Apple restricts several features or software only available on more latest models. One of them being Airplay, which is only compatible with 2011 and above Macs. Also, next year may push 2010 models in the dark for the next iteration Mac OS X, 10.9. In addition, you will most likely not receive a newer generation Mac unless you purchase Applecare and even if you do, you might need to have 3+ major repairs before you do.

4. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr

I purchased a refurb a little over a month ago (my first MAC)...immediately had a problem with it right out of the box so Apple took it back and refunded my money.
    I took a chance and ordered another one 3 weeks ago and haven't had any problems with it. It is just like brand new. The battery had 2 cycles on it!
    If you can spend about $1000 below is a link for a 2012 model....it has USB 3.0 which IMO is a big selling point and also has the newest Intel processor with HD4000 and it also has a thunderbolt port.
    Good Luck!
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD101LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-25ghz-dual-core-intel-i5

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

This is generally not true. Refurbs from Apple (and I've had several) come looking basically just like a new Mac would. I've never received anything that looked damaged in any way, shape or form. They say it's possible on the website, but I've never had that experience. If you do, I would imagine it would be extremely, extremely minor.

To the OP - It's possible that you could have a problem with it in the first year; it's possible with any piece of electronics. But Apple does a very good job with their refurbs and they go over them carefully. Many people will even say that getting a refurb often means you'll have less problems, simply because it's been looked over so well during the refurb process.

If something happens and the computer isn't functioning correctly, they don't just give you a replacement. They'll try to fix it first, which means it may be sent out for repairs and you'll be without it for a bit. This is true whether you purchase a new Mac or a refurb, though.

As to your question of whether or not you made a mistake, you didn't really say (or not that I saw) what you'll mainly be using the computer for. What types of software will you need to run for your college classes? Tell us a bit about what you plan on doing with it. All in all, the machine you bought is a very capable computer. Unless you need to do heavy video rendering or something like that, I imagine you'll be fine. Yes, you're missing out on USB3, but if that's not important to you then it's not important to you. My hubby is using my old 2008 MBP and it still functions just fine. In the future, as prices come down and you save more money, you can always install an SSD to speed it up if it's feeling slow. Once you get it, try it ou for a little while and see what you think. You should have 14 days to send it back, no questions asked.

6. bogatyr macrumors 65816

1. They replace the exterior components for refurb models. Bought a 2011 refurb MBA, it was pristine - not a mark on it.
    2. I have had no issues with mine - but even if I do, it has a 1 year full warranty which can be extended to 3 years if you buy the extension before the first year is over. Any issues, just take it to an Apple store or call Apple.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Considering my Rev 1 MBP lasted me 6 years, I don't think a 1.5 year old laptop is too "old," especially if you're saving that much money. USB 3.0 only came out in this years model(s), so unless you're looking to buy a new computer (and really need it), I wouldn't worry about it. Remember, the most important thing is that your laptop works for YOU, if this does the job for you, then you got the right one.

8. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

Just my honest opinion, you won't need anything more than that for college at least for the next 3 years.

Software compatibility may be a problem only because the future OS won't apply to your model, probably; that doesn't matter for you since you will be using it at college and internet stuff.

I had a 2010, 2011 and now I own a 2012 model only because of my hard work as a software engineer. I used to work quite fine with my 2010 back that time.

I would say, stick with it and you won't regret. That will be the fastest computer you ever had, nothing compared to your broken Sony.

9. pe93co thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys I'm back
    Thank you so much for all your responses and actually reading through my long wordy post.
    Now, I read every single one of the replies and it seems like the opinions are mixed.
    I will add a few more things,
    - Idk what I was thinking but I actually meant 4 years, I'm a freshman in college, I just hope this laptop can get my through the next 4 years without much I need to worry about. Some of you said it will definitely be outdated within the next 3 years, some of you said it sure wont be a problem. I'm not really sure still.
    -So from all the responses, it seems like the biggest problem here is me not being able to update to the next generation of the Mac OS next year? I guess a laptop from 2010 is too old for what comes up next huh. Well, what do you guys think about having mountain lion for the next 4 years? yes it is eligible for the mountain lion up to date program.
    - About USB 2.0 or 3.0, i'm getting a hand-down 2TB desk HDD from my friend and it's a USB 3.0 but as far as I know it still works just fine on a 2.0 port right? So I dont think that's too big of a problem, just that 3.0 would have been faster I guess.
    - Yes, I'm a humanities major lol. Nothing heavy will take place on this computer besides The Office for paper and projects, photoshop and stuff for editing my pictures and me watching some movies once in awhile. So I think it wont be too big of a problem for me? that's one reason why I do think I can get through my undergrad studies with this pro.
    - Some of you said there wont be any wears and scratches on the exterior, some you said there definitely might. Are you all sure about this? Like I said, I will eventually find out next week when its delivered to me but I'm just anxious ><

So yeah, again excuse my wordiness. I will bump this up, and hope for updates from you guys or just new people weighing in on this.
    Thank you very much, I need your honest opinions.

10. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

The computer should be fine for you for 4 years. Will it be outdated? Yes, if by that you mean that there will always be newer hardware available. But if it still meets your needs then it will be fine, and I think it will.

No one can say whether or not you'll be able to upgrade to the next OS next year or not, because no one knows what the required specs for it will be. Mountain Lion is a good OS and will only get better with updates. I wouldn't worry too much about that part of it, especially since it sounds like you won't need to be running any cutting-edge software. The software you listed will run fine on the computer. You shouldn't have any problems.

Apple gives a disclaimer that says something about refurbs possibly having some scratches or whatever. In reality though, chances are super slim. They usually replace any exterior parts that have damage. None of the refurbs I've ever received from Apple have had any visible blemishes.

Once you get the computer, use it a bit and see if you like it. If not, return it. If you do end up keeping it, refurbs are eligible for Applecare. Any time within the first year you can purchase Applecare, which gives you two additional years of warranty coverage (doesn't cover accidental damage, though). Since you'll be depending on the computer for school, it might be a good idea. You can wait just until the first year is almost over before buying it, and B&H Photo usually has the lowest prices on it (I think even lower than student pricing).

11. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

To write college papers you can have a super old computer to write papers so this mac you purchase will serve you well beyond college. USB 3 devices will work on a USB 2 computer. The speed will just be reduced. Only Apple knows how many OS updates you'll be eligible for but you'll have 14 days upon receiving the computer to try and decide. To me I would rather get at least a 2011 model because these processors are much faster for intensive tasks like video encoding, photoshop etc should you decide to take on these hobbies. That computer you pick will work might be multiple seconds slower for intensive tasks.

12. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

yes, the external usb will throttle down usb 2.0 speeds, so no worries there. As for the damage, I think ive heard one story of someone getting a product that was not absolutely perfect.

you can always return it if you find yourself not loving it. My 2006 MBP still runs fine and I use it for google drive and word for lab write-ups for what its worth

13. pe93co thread starter macrumors member

Thank you guys for your responses, short or long, I appreciate your time and I really do read every single word in them.
    So I will get through with this pro then (Just clarifying, 2.3GHz, dual-core, 13inch). I am prepared knowing newer generations will come out every single year, all I care about is that it will get me through my basic needs.

I guess there's something I didnt state clearly, I would totally get a better newer pro if i'm financially capable. Don't tell me why i didnt go for a cheaper PC, like I said, I have a 4S and an itouch, I just thought having a pro would create a good ecosystem among my gadgets. I guess I can pushed my savings account to the end and get a 15 new pro but I sure do have more things in life I need to take care of.

Thank you guys all so much, I am aware of the 14 days I have, I will make my decision then.
    I think the general opinion here is that the pro I'm getting is sufficient enough for me, if you disagree, feel free to comment, I'm still regularly checking the thread/forum.

14. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I'm going to clarify some information here again for you;

First off, that model is from March 2011, at the earliest. That processor speed was out from March-November of 2011, so at the most, you have about a one and a half year old computer, and at the best, it's not even a year old yet.
    Second, Apple refurbished products are NEVER dented, or have huge scratches in them. They replace the exterior components of the computer that you see which includes all of the exterior casing. Not to mention they won't even take one as a return (returns are sold as refurbished) if it has any form of customer abuse.
    And third, MacBook Pros made in late 2008 are still supported by Apple and able to run the most recent OS, Mountain Lion, with no compatibility issues. At this rate, you should see AT LEAST 4 years of good use with that computer while it is still able to get the most current updates. Even after then, it will still be usable for another 2-3 years without the most recent OS, worst case scenario. I always buy my Macs refurbished, and have never had an issue. As a matter of fact, if that $799 model had been out when I advised a family member to purchase the $929 model last month, I would have easily recommended he purchase that one instead. The only other thing I would recommend you do is purchase AppleCare. It extends your warranty from 1 to 3 years, and as a college student you're eligible for it to be discounted from $250 to $180, which is defiantly worth the peace of mind in my opinion.

15. pe93co thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your response, I have been spying on apple refurbs for quite awhile and the $799 only popped out once in the numerous times I checked and I got it right away.

On a separate note, I drop my stuff a lot. I really do try to be careful with all my gadgets but they just all slip right through my fingers = = I needed my speck candyshell case on by all time for my 4S to protect it and god knows how many times the screen would have cracked without the awesome case.
    I just want to know what is the best way to protect my pro? I have already ordered a unibody rubberized case and i was wondering if that would be enough to protect it. Maybe a sleeve is necessary too? How durable is the pro?

16. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Pretty durable, although it does dent easily when dropped (aluminum is a soft metal). Also, Macs dent, while most plastic PC notebooks just crack and shatter, so all things considered I'd rather have mine dent. If you like your speck candyshell case on the 4s, they also make them for MacBook Pro.

17. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

I'm not saying for you to be psyco, like I am, but every single time I'm not using my rMPB it is safe in a full leather case or even inside my well protected backpack. I never had any problems with my macs because I usually spend these 10 more seconds every time to keep them safe. It would cost me way more if something happened with that which is my main working tool.
    Plus, avoid eating/drinking so close to your mac, even small spills can damage it and you will be sorry once you get attached to your machine. Just go through the many sad posts here talking about damaged macbooks and you will understand what I'm saying.

Again, you don't need to be as psyco as me when dealing with your mac but then again, better safe than sorry. :)

Apart from that, enjoy your new machine. I'm 100% sure it will definitely be enough for you during the next 4 years.

18. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It's at least a 2011 considering the i5 just for confirmation. 2010 models have Core 2 Duo processors.

In order to answer your question as simply as possible - it's not "old" unless you have a need for "new." In other words, if you need USB 3.0 and the like then perhaps you should have gone with a newer model but if you are contemplating on whether or not you made a mistake based off of the fact that it would be viewed as old or something then no.

The fact that it may not be compatible with things in the future is something that everyone has to consider, even when purchasing a new unit, it all depends on how long you want to use it. In my opinion, going with a 2011 refurb - that will see you a long way into the future. You will have to think about it being "obsolete" (subjective) at some point but not any time in the near future.

I think you made a fine decision, use it and be happy.

19. pe93co, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013

pe93co thread starter macrumors member

To nanolife,
    I will keep it in my laptop with a unibody case in all time when im walking around on campus. Wont ever hold it in my hand.. haha

and to Dark Void,
    I think something was off with my mind in terms of whether it was a 2011 or 2010 made cuz like I said I have been spying on the refurb pro page for quite a long time, and never had I seen a pro priced at $799. I probably just thought it was old, I made my decision in buying and finished checking out that pro within 3 min cuz I was afraid it would have been taken soon if I hesitate so my memory is all blurred cuz it all happened so fast.
    Anyways, yeah like you and most of the users here have suggested, I'm confident that I will have a great run with this pro for my undergrad studies. CANT WAIT TILL IT GETS DELIVERED! 4 MORE DAYS

As a newbie to the macbook world, I will definitely come back to this thread and tell you guys my experience with it. Me + apple computer is like a blank book i'm so excited for this.

20. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Good luck. =)

21. pe93co thread starter macrumors member

hi guys,
    i'm back! I got my Pro on Wednesday and it's been five days and I absolutely love it! You guys are so right, it's the fastest thing I have ever used!
    Only thing that bugs me is I'm gonna have to have all the music erased on my phone so I can start manually managing my stuff on my phone from my Macbook.
    Overall it's awesome. I have only experienced lags when I woke it up from sleep and when I typed in my password it does take like two seconds for the password to kick in.
    I got to upgrade it to Mountain Lion for free as well, I love ittt
    and yes, no scratches at all! it is like brand new I don't regret a single bit of it.

Just thought I would update this to you all, and if any of you is hesitating in getting a refurb macbook, DO IT ITS SO WORTH IT!

22. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Before you delete your music collection, is it not possible that you can transfer it onto a hard drive from your old PC, I know you said it was broken? Then you can put it all on your Mac and carry on as normal with your iPhone.
    Glad to see you are enjoying your Mac.

23. magbarn macrumors 68000

Congrats! I was just about to tell you to return it for a 2011 model, but you did get a 2011. IMHO, even in 2010, the then 'brand new' 2010 core 2 duo powered MBP 13 were already woefully outdated using 3 year old CPU's. The Sandy Bridge powered 2011 are so much faster it's ridiculous. If you ever want to make that machine fly, wait for 256gb SSD's to hit the low $100 price range and pop one in your laptop, your 2011 MBP 13 will outrun any of the 2012 models with regular hard drives unless all you're doing is CPU limited.

24. pe93co thread starter macrumors member

Hey, yes it is a Feb. 2011 model but I'm happy with its performance for now. About the SSD, yeah right now I don't have the extra cash, but later on I will definitely add it in! Thank you very much!!

----------

Ok, it's not about all the music files on my old PC, and btw its only its physical exterior that's extremely broken and immobilized, its that when I hook my iPhone up with the Pro, it is set as default that I DO NOT manually manage my music. If I want to check on that option, iTunes will forcedly remove every song on my phone in order for me to be able to manually manage my music in the future. So yeah..
    I hope we are talking about the same thing?? lol..
    and yeah thanks!!

25. magbarn macrumors 68000

When I update my MBP/MBA's I usually just copy over the whole itunes directory and then point itunes to it. That way everything I had on the previous computer is copied over. My iphone will also willingly sync to it, you may have to just wipe the music on your iphone and just select your music again as I'm not sure about windows to mac itunes directory compatibility.