Did I make a big mistake...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mmjax, Apr 20, 2009.

1. mmjax macrumors newbie

I've been a Cingular, then AT&T customer for years - had pretty good luck with them. Back in February I bought an iPhone 3G 16GB. I really, really liked it but thought the battery life was appalling. Not more than a day or so after I got it, the rumor mill cranked up several notches and everything was pointing towards a new iPhone being released in the Summer. Since I had heard about the "revolutionary" battery technology in the macbook, I figured this would likely be in the new iPhone, along with a faster processor, 32Gb, etc. I decided it made more sense to return the iPhone and wait for the Summer release. I thought about keeping it for the full 30 days but was worried I'd drop it or damage it in some other way, enough that they'd refuse to take it back. So I ended up taking it back maybe 8 days after I first bought it. They tell you that you only pay 10% restocking fee, but remember that you also have to pay a $30 activation fee, and a months worth of Data (another $30). So it ended up costing me about $90 to "rent" the iPhone for 8 days. That's a lot of money, but I figured I'd be happy with my decision once Summer rolls around. Well we're 7 weeks away from WWDC and a highly likely iPhone release shortly afterwards.

Yesterday I started thinking...could/would Apple refuse to sell me the new model because I returned the 3G? Has anyone bought a 3G, returned it, decided they missed it too much, then some time later gone and bought one again? If it turns out that a new iPhone isn't released, I would at least like to be able to buy a 3G again.

I really hope I haven't shot myself in the foot here...what do you guys think?

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Why would they? :confused:
    Apple wants to make a much money off you as possible.
    Besides, your contract would be with AT&T. They might refuse you service, but again, why would they?

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Of course you will! Money speaks louder than words! :D

5. iBecks macrumors 6502

They'll be more than happy to take your money and sign you up for a contract, assuming you'll pass any credit checks that they may run.

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Like everyone said, I'm pretty sure you will be fine for buying the new iphone.

That really sucks about the $90 8 day rental.. :( You should have just jumped onto MacRumors if you wanted to know when the next iPhone would be released. We all would have been able to help you out. It's been common knowledge to any avid iPhone follower that the iphone is on a yearly cycle with a new one being released every summer! :)

I'm sure you will enjoy your new iphone!

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Unfortunately, you'll be returning the next phone as soon as you buy it because there will be one released next year. Here's a hint - Don't wait for new tech, it's always around the corner.

8. ViPa macrumors 6502a

as a former at&t employee, i can say with full certainty that you will have absolutely no problems acquiring a new iphone, whether it be a 3G or any new one that is released

9. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Yes, but you can always do something to minimize the obsolescence of your tech toys. Always try to buy at the beginning of a product cycle rather than the end. Buying an iPhone 3G at say the beginning of June would be a very bad move for example whereas buying the new iPhone near whenever it is that is launches would be a good idea. Then you can have the best tech for the longest period of time.

10. dave006 macrumors 68020

Sure but at what price? Will the thread starter pay the eligible upgrade pricing or an early upgrade (higher price).

For the thread starter, make sure that youre upgrade eligiblity was reset when you returned the iPhone 3G. You should login to your AT&T Online account and confirm your upgrade status Now.

This is a very common problem when people return any phone. While you may get an upgrade exception on almost any other phone when the rep checks your account status this summer but just like last year, don't expect any exceptions if your account does not show you as "Upgrade Eligible".

Dave