Did I make a good decision? (bought MBP this weekend)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jess0129, Apr 25, 2016.

  1. Jess0129 macrumors newbie

    Apr 25, 2016
    Hello everyone! I'm new to posting but I have been watching/stalking the forum for a while now, waiting on the new MBP's to be released. I am currently using my 2007 (yes, you read that right...) white 2,1 MacBook. Last time I checked it had about 1200 battery cycles on it. I get about 2 hours of battery at best, but I'm usually working at home so that's not a huge deal. It drags when I have multiple programs open simultaneously (usually just Photoshop and Illustrator at the same time) and takes FOREVER to save large Illustrator files.

    I've been hanging on with all my might until the new MBP's come out, but on Sunday I spilled half a cup of coffee right into my keyboard. The monitor went black but the laptop kept running. I immediately removed the battery, shut it down and set it sideways in front of a fan, left the house and went to Best Buy. I have been sitting on a Best Buy gift card, and we do not have an Apple here in my small town. Best Buy had a sale, $225 off (making it $1075 instead of $1299) the bottom rung rMBP, which is the one I had been contemplating, I went ahead and bought it but I have not opened it yet. I bought the rMBP, magic mouse, and AppleCare for about $1550 after tax, a big chunk of that was taken care of with the gift card I had.

    Last night I came home, turned my old MB on and of course, it works FINE except the Enter key doesn't work. I'm wondering if that will come back with time. That machine is an absolute TANK and this isn't the only cup of coffee its taken in the keys.

    As far as use goes, I do some light graphic design on my laptop - nothing really graphics intense - usually its simple T-shirt Screenprinting design or Cad cut decal vector work. Besides that, just the normal Word, Excel, editing personal photos in Photoshop, etc. I have a 9-5 job but I do graphic design stuff on the side for previous employers in different towns for extra cash.

    Should I keep the 2015 rMBP I bought this weekend, or tough it out with my old one another month and a half to see what happens at WWDC? Even with a new processor in the new release, I don't see it making a huge difference on what I'm doing. I'm already expecting to see a huge difference in speed from my 2007 to the 2015 so would I really notice or need a bit more? The sale they had at Best buy was pretty good, and I'm thinking I should just stick with the new one. Even if they announce in June, they won't come out immediately right? So its more like 2.5 months I would be waiting for a new one, and would be paying at least $200 more than I did yesterday.

    The reason that I don't want the new MacBook is the size. I don't think I could go down to the 12" size (and I don't like the idea of not having any extra ports... that weirds me out.)

    Sorry this is so long .... I need some help taking the plunge and opening that new box! Any advice welcome!!
  2. Closingracer macrumors 68040

    Jul 13, 2010
    Honestly you're going to be fine. Skylake brings a better integrated gpu and better processor but slightly. Integrated gpu's can only do so much. Honestly I would go with the 2015 for $1000 or so than a 2016 for $1300.
  3. PTLove macrumors 6502

    Sep 12, 2014
    Ask yourself this - If Apple comes out with an updated design would that bother you?
    If you miss out on a better iGPU, and possibly display, would that bother you?

    The above are the two (imo) most likely things the update will bring.
    If you answered no to the above, there was no reason to be waiting in the first place :)
  4. Jess0129 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 25, 2016
    Honestly , the 2015 is going to be such a HUGE upgrade in speed and display (and lightness) from my 2007, that I don't think the 2016 upgrades would be make or break for me!

    I just have such a FOMO when it comes to electronics, I have terrible luck - I'm one of those people that, every time I buy something electronic, a new surprise upgrade comes out a month later and I'm stuck with the old one.... But with the $225 savings, I think I am pretty happy with this 2015 model. I can always upgrade again in a few years! Hopefully I won't keep this one for 9 years.
  5. macgeek18 macrumors 68000


    Sep 8, 2009
    Northern California
    I bought my 2012 MBP when the Retina MBP just came out, went with the old model and this machine has had zero problems and I've been happy with it. You will be fine with the 2015 for your needs.
  6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Oct 24, 2013
    Yeah go for it you got a bargain keep it and enjoy.
  7. Jess0129 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 25, 2016
    Thanks everyone! I opened it last night and stayed up way too late, playing with it! ITS SO FAST! Now I just have to transfer my files over. Migration Assistant is the best way to do that, right? Am I able to pick and choose which files? There is some pretty outdated music from my college days on my old MB that I don't want to transfer.
  8. Howard2k macrumors 65816


    Mar 10, 2016
    I just picked one up too. I waited for a while and decided I'd see what the MB update looked like. I was ready to go on a 13" MBA but found a good deal on a refurbished Pro. Love it!

    When the new MBPro laptops come out I might feel a tinge of regret, but then I got a good deal on this one and will have had a few extra months to love it.

    There's always something new around the corner, at some point you need to get your feet wet.

    It's a little quicker than my 07 iMac that's for sure!
  9. GlenK macrumors 6502a


    Aug 1, 2013
    St. Augustine, FL
    I got a new one a few weeks ago because the new ones are coming. I'm tired of thinner and thinner. I love this version, size and speed. I did bump up RAM (16), storage, and got the best processor they had available.

    Have no regrets and glad I did it!! This new baby flies!!!!
  10. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    At this point, with a barely functioning computer, I'd say keep the new one and enjoy it. :)
  11. zhenya macrumors 603


    Jan 6, 2005
    You kept your old computer for 9 years - what's another couple of months, even if you have to use an external keyboard for some of that time to make it?

    Now I don't think the computer you bought is a bad one - and you saved a bit of money, but if you intend to keep this anywhere near that long, the new one is virtually certain to have a number of advancements that will help keep it modern much longer than the existing model, and $200 over 9 years isn't worth thinking about as it will be long forgotten a year or two from now.
  12. OT2000 macrumors regular


    Apr 12, 2007
    I'm in the same boat with my old Macbook Air. Really tempted, but I figure I'll wait until at least June in case of a big change in form factor. But honestly, you can't go wrong either way.

    I'm also waiting because I know I'm the type who will be pissed when the update gets here.
  13. Closingracer macrumors 68040

    Jul 13, 2010

    Not really..... Skylake is better but it's nothing to wait for solely.
  14. Closingracer macrumors 68040

    Jul 13, 2010

    I bought my iPhone 6 plus in March knowing am upgrade was imminent... And I don't regret that decision at all. Now I can either wait for the 7 or wait a bit longer for the 7s and be happy with either nor do I have to deal with the craziness of pre ordering which I wasn't fond of back when I did it with my iPhone 4.
  15. zhenya macrumors 603


    Jan 6, 2005
    It's not Skylake as a speed boost; it's the fact that the new devices will almost certainly contain Thunderbolt over usb-c. Doesn't seem like much today, but 5 years from now it's going to be a pretty obvious omission. We are at the tail-end of the existing design; something that is going to definitely play a role in how compatible a new computer remains over the coming years.
  16. osnola ibax macrumors member

    osnola ibax

    Jul 17, 2014
    That early 2015 MBP is a MacBook at the top of its game. All kinks have been ironed out and it was generally regarded as the most flawless MacBook ever in reviews - enjoy!
  17. kschendel macrumors 6502a

    Dec 9, 2014
    Opening it up was the right thing to do. If you hung on with a 2007 for 9 years, I don't see you as being someone who needs to keep up with every little advance. Enjoy the new machine and don't look back.
  18. dilutedq macrumors regular

    Jun 22, 2010
    The cpu in the 2015 MBP are OLD. They were old last year. They are even older this year. It was a poor choice. Return it and get the new ones in the next month.
  19. Jess0129 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 25, 2016
    I did open it, bought a case for it (and keyboard protector.... no more coffee!), and I'm going to start moving files over tonight. Like most of you said, if I can last 9 years with that one, this update isn't going to kill me, and maybe I can buy a new one in 4-5 years :) On the old one, the enter key, arrow keys, and Y don't work... LOL

    I'm not making a Pixar movie on this thing, I'm just doing some basic graphic design and personal projects. I love my new baby! Thank you everyone, for the advice!
  20. vtgeek macrumors member

    Sep 21, 2012
    Same place as the OP, except I have a Late 2013 rMPB 13 8GB/512GB that it will complement. Helps I have a large project where having a second machine will be handy helps, but for the $300 off for the Early 2015 8GB/512GB is almost a no brainer not to take the discount. I wanted a 512GB slim macbook but aside from the size which I love its not a bargain. I've got 45 day return period for best buy. Last one at my location too. So if the project is over and or it just looks like the design is awesome I can return it. But the shelf life on these machines is absolutely wonderful.
  21. jdasikainen macrumors 6502


    Mar 4, 2016
    Bald Knob Arkansas
    heck I'm rocking a 6 ma pro and soon a 09 macbook pro the retina will defiantly be a big upgrade can your current macbook even run el capitan out of curiosity i know the pro can but not the white mb
  22. gabo864 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 13, 2012
    I'm also trying to decide what to do. I have a Macbook air 2013 256GB and I want to upgrade to the 2015 Macbook Pro. I noticed its $300 off at Best Buy which I think its an amazing deal!! cheaper than the one I saw on Apple's refurbished macbook page :eek:, but Im still unsure if I should wait or just go for it and buy it! :( decisionssss
  23. gngan macrumors 68000


    Jan 1, 2009
    If I were you then I would wait till the new MBP is release. When it's released, you can decide whether you want the latest or the one you have now. If you were to go with the current one then you probably get more discount!

    If you white MB still works without the enter and screen then is it possible to borrow a keyboard or monitor for temporary usage?

Share This Page