Did I make a mistake (8 over 16)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BIrwin49, Feb 26, 2008.

1. BIrwin49 macrumors member

EDIT:

WTF? I must have had something else copied and pasted here.I didn't mean to post about starbucks closing, sorry TEG.

I was going to ask if I made a mistake in buying the 8gb over thw 16gb with the SDK and third party apps coming. Am I going to run out of memory? 8gb was fine for my music, but I didn't really think of the rest. I got my phone almost two weeks ago.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

(previously a double post from another thread)

I have the 8GB and come nowhere near filling it most of the time. However, right now it is full, because I've thrown some movies on there to watch on my TV. I don't think that 3rd party apps will that up that much, so unless you are using every last KB on the iPhone, you should be fine.

TEG

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

If you were under 14 days, you could pay $40 and return it.

However, nothing will be different besides the 8 GB. Would you be able to give up a little space, for some applications? I suspect you'll be fine.

Make smart playlists for iTunes and only sync them.

4. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

is 16 preferable? Sure, more memory is always nice, but 8 will be fine too.

If you can afford 16, go get 16. If not, be happy with 8.

5. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

Tthe second gen iPhone is supposed to be coming out later this year. Look at it this way. If you plan on upgrading, you can save your $140 now and stay with the 8 and put the money towards the new iPhone when it comes out. You could even sell your old one at that time, all of which will make the upgrade even easier financially. Also with the way memory is going, I wouldn't be surprised if the second gen had 16/32GB memory. Only get the 16 now if you really need it.

Kan-O-Z

6. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

To be honest, the applications aren't going to be a large size. Just think about the current ones for a jailbroken phone.. 200kb-2MB.

You'll be fine with 8GB.

The only thing to be worried about is if you want loads of songs on it! ;)

7. BIrwin49 thread starter macrumors member

I see, apprecaite the help.

I guess I am fine and will upgrade later down the road. I just wasn't sure how I was going to be with memroy. Right now I just have like 600 songs on my iphone, by the time I max it out, new phones will be out.

Thanks again.

8. knoxtown macrumors 6502

I had a jailbroken iPhone, and there is one thing that I learned.... these programs and apps are VERY SMALL. I really wouldn't worry too much about space. It seems that most apps ranged to a max of like 5 mbs... Be happy, YOU HAVE AN IPHONE!!!! Every day is a good day with the iPhone!:cool::apple:

9. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Unless you plan on using a huge amount of songs and videos, I can't see why 8GB wouldn't be enough. I pondered the same question myself and decided that I'd go with the 8GB now, and when Apple/AT&T upgrades them to 3G/ect/ect/ect, I'll buy a new one. For the time being, 8GB is plenty and I love my iPhone!

10. claukd macrumors newbie

11. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

Not a mistake at all. I look at the 8GB as a reason to pick only songs I may REALLY want to hear instead of toting around thousands of songs that I probably won't want to listen to anyway. And I have a lot of games and apps on my jailbroken iPhone, and have yet to run out of space.

12. kane4fire macrumors member

look at it this way...could you have afforded the extra $100 and would it not have made a difference to your wallet? If the answer is yes, then clearly you made a mistake and you're cheap. If you sort of needed the $100 and you won't really use more than 4gb for songs, then no, you made the right move and congrats.

13. gyumilly macrumors member

It depends. I ultimately want a gps and a whole US map in my iphone. 2GB will do that, but if you have lots of music or movies, things might get tight. Otherwise, most of apps should be pretty small.

14. kane4fire macrumors member

if you want GPS, get a real smartphone.

BTW, Microsoft live service is a bit more comprehensive than google's with nice little features. My friends Q is a really nice and capable device.

15. cupofjoe macrumors regular

This post sounds pretty flame-ish to me. :eek:

While the location in Maps on the iPhone isn't exact.... it's not bad at all. Good enough for most people.

16. kane4fire macrumors member

how is it flamish just because I'm not a fanboy of apple I am stating the obvious capability issues with the iPhone. There are a few important things lacking that is standard with industry smartphones. It has a very easy UI and a nice web browser that lets me view and experience most of the web. It also has a nice and accurate multitouch screen.

Microsoft live service is definitely better than just google maps and that had nothing to do with the locate me button. Plus for the good enough fans, mine shows me on average 3-4 miles off and when commuting in my small town, those miles means it shows me starting off on the opposite side of town. Still, it is a very welcome attempt by google to make due with apple's lack of hardware.