Did I make a mistake?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by n8236, Aug 27, 2011.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

My manager recently moved to a new position and since she has added me to her FB. When I worked for her, we had a good working relationship.

Because of the new manager and his methods of managing our team, I have decided to look for other opportunities with the company.

To improve my chances of a new and better position, I have asked my ex-manager for a letter of recommendation. Was that a poor decision?

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

This! Gluck man.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Not unless you have very questionable content on fb that she can see. :p

Assuming you worked longer for your old manager, I think that should be a stronger recommendation anyway, regardless of the fact that she isn't your boss anymore.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree, and no, I don't think you have made a mistake. I have asked former managers (rather than current ones) for letters of recommendation, and it has never been a problem. One asks for a letter of recommendation from someone whom you will know will give you a good one, rather than someone with whom your work relationship is less good, as they may not be quite so obliging.

Moreover, they may not be too happy to learn that you plan to leave.

Besides, as you had a good working relationship with her, the chances are that you will probably get a pretty good reference/recommendation from her, which might not be the case with your current manager, with whom your relationship, clearly, is not as good.

Cheers

6. shukelson macrumors newbie

you old manager should take you with her~you both are contented:D

7. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

I left out one very important piece of information.

My former and current manager used to work under the same general manager (though managed two different groups of individuals). Thus, in the past, they had to work together, but is no means close.

8. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

I don't think that really makes a difference. You still worked longer with your old manager, and you had a good relationship with her. She will write the better recommendation.