Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enkidu24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Hi guys,

Seeing that the 13 inch MBP Retina Display is coming out around October I´m wondering If I did the correct buying a MBP 13 inch the last June.

I´m teacher and I mainly use word-pages/ powerpoint-keynote/ excel-numbers and I also like gaming but not too much. The features of my MBP are i7 - 750GB and 8GB RAM.

Should I sell it and get the new one as soon as it comes out or with my MBP is enough for me?

Because I thought cMBP 13" is going to get obsolete soon.

Any advice guys?

Sorry for my english

Aug 5, 2012
You're fine.. the retina pro's have so many issues that you've done yourself a favour

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Hi guys,

Seeing that the 13 inch MBP Retina Display is coming out around October I´m wondering If I did the correct buying a MBP 13 inch the last June.

I´m teacher and I mainly use word-pages/ powerpoint-keynote/ excel-numbers and I also like gaming but not too much. The features of my MBP are i7 - 750GB and 8GB RAM.

Should I sell it and get the new one as soon as it comes out or with my MBP is enough for me?

Any advice guys?

Sorry for my english

if you can do everything you want on your current one, I would say its good enough for you.

sharkman

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
Ann Arbor, MI
Sounds like you picked the perfect machine for what you use it for. In my opinion you should just keep that machine, and save your money. From what you have stated it should be perfectly fine.

In addition, there is always something shiny and new coming out around the corner in the tech sector and you will drive yourself mad trying to figure out when to buy.

Just enjoy what you have, if it starts giving you problems with your workloads then you start thinking about upgrading..

Just my 2 cents. Have fun! :)

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy
I think you did the right decision.
In my opinion the classic Macbook Pro has one great advantage: It's upradeable.

I know this is not so important in todays Apple World where everyone is buying a new machine when its got too slow, but I love to upgrade my hardware.

In 2 years you can upgrade your machine to 16 GB of RAM and replace your HDD with a new shiny SSD and it will feel like a new one - insanely great ;)

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Yes, you made the right decision.

Your computer is a terrific machine and should last you a long time with few, if any, problems.

Enjoy!

xAgustinx

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
I also bought the cMBP 13" last june and I'm enjoying it. I think you made the correct buying.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
From your described usage, apart from gaming, an iPad is powerful enough for you, so yes, you did great buying the 13" MBP.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011

The word obsolete gets used too lightly I know English isn't your main language but if a newer model of computer comes out it does not make your current model obsolete. Something becomes obsolete when it can no longer meet your needs.

Enkidu24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
The word obsolete gets used too lightly I know English isn't your main language but if a newer model of computer comes out it does not make your current model obsolete. Something becomes obsolete when it can no longer meet your needs.

Thanks!

Everyday you can learn something new!

----------

How long do you think should I wait until update the HDD to SSD and my 8GB RAM to 16?

Regards

BigMoo

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2010
It sounds like you have everything you need in your machine but you have a case of newitis. Just because it's new doesn't mean its better for you!

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
How long do you think should I wait until update the HDD to SSD and my 8GB RAM to 16?
For the SSD, whenever you are ready for a jump in speed. I recommend getting the optibay adapter so you can move the 750GB into the optical drive spot.

Regarding the RAM, I wouldn't bother. For what you're doing, 8GB is perfectly fine.

jmdMac

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Alaska
Update your HDD to SSD if you want to spend extra money to make your mbp feel much quicker. So if you can wait...SSD's get cheaper every day.

You most likely will never need to update your RAM to 16GB, since the applications you listed should never even close to max out 8GB. However that said, RAM is cheap, so if it makes you feel better you can go to 16GB whenever although you may never notice any difference.

Regards

Thanks!

----------

Regards

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Thanks!

----------

Regards
How long should you wait for any upgrade? You either wait until you need it, or you wait until you have enough money (or the price comes down enough) that it doesn't matter whether the upgrade is justifiable or not. The first option is based on your usage, and the other is based on your wallet.

With technology there's never a "good" time to buy anything. New things are always being released, and the price of older components is almost always going down. Jump in based on what works for you.

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
Why do I get the impression that practially everyone who has posted so far has a cMBP? I for one think its reckless for Apple to release a 13" rMBP so soon after the cMBP!
Its similar to introducing a non retina iPad and soon after a retina version.
I for one would be miffed, but that's just my POV.

On a side note, I have a 2011 13" which I recently equipped with a SSD. Pure bliss!

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Though the pundits and rumor mongers have been on a hot streak lately, the rumor of a 13" rMBP in October is only just a rumor. And considering nobody knows with certainty when or even if it will be released, and what it will consist of if it is, opining whether or not you made a mistake is pointless. And speculating about that product's virtues and vices before it's even released is even more pointless.

If you're happy with what you've got now, go ahead and use it until it no longer meets your needs. If not, feel free to return it if it's within the 14 day window, or sell it on craigslist for a loss if you're not. But you may catch yourself waiting for a long time, possibly even in vain.

fleawannabe

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2011
Hi guys,

I do not think there will be a retina 13 at all, if there it is it will most likely be very problematic. I bought a 2012 MBP 13 and ill never look back, I love it.

sammyvine

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2012
For the SSD, whenever you are ready for a jump in speed. I recommend getting the optibay adapter so you can move the 750GB into the optical drive spot.

Regarding the RAM, I wouldn't bother. For what you're doing, 8GB is perfectly fine.

How much are ssds and how do you install them? Do you take them to apple and they do it?

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
How much are ssds and how do you install them? Do you take them to apple and they do it?

You can view prices at:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=crucial+m4

I don't believe Apple will install one for you. If I remember correctly from when I had a 13" MBP (2011), just pop the bottom off and there are a couple screws around the HD, pull them out and pull off the little adapter off the drive. Put the adapter on the new drive, install, replace bottom, and finished. When you turn on the laptop use CMD-R to start internet recovery (needs internet) and you can reinstall the OS on the new drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.