Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
I recently purchased the 2.2Ghz 15" Macbook Pro mainly because of the video card, but with the new Macbook Air out, I'm wondering if I made a good decision.

I am a college student going for a mechanical engineering degree and run parallels often to run visual basic and mechanical design/FEA software. I work with Solidworks 3D modeling often as well.

Outside of school, my computing is mostly just the usual internet surfing/excel document making, but every so often I work with a few after effects projects, and do fairly heavy video editing.

The reason I went for the 2.2GHz computer was for the ATI HD6750M with 1GB of memory, but as I only spend a small fraction of my time in After Effects and the Adobe suite I was wondering if this machine is over-kill, and if a 13" Ultimate would be able to handle the heavier things I do. Thanks

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
You already own it and it is a far superior machine. I think you would regret dumping it for an Air. With it's much slower CPU, inferior graphics and far fewer upgrade options.

With the Macbook Pro you can upgrade the hard drive with any 2.5" SATA hard drive or SSD that is 9.5mm tall (which is just about all of them). You can also upgrade the RAM and replace the superdrive with an Optibay and additional hard drive/SSD. You also have more ports and the TB port has more channels.

Edit: Also that Macbook Pro will have a much greater useful life with the 2.2Ghz Quad core, Radeon 6750 and ability to hold 8GB RAM vs the Air's 1.8Ghz Dual Core (max), dedicated graphics and 4GB RAM.

sumone

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
You already own it and it is a far superior machine. I think you would regret dumping it for an Air. With it's much slower CPU, inferior graphics and far fewer upgrade options.

With the Macbook Pro you can upgrade the hard drive with any 2.5" SATA hard drive or SSD that is 9.5mm tall (which is just about all of them). You can also upgrade the RAM and replace the superdrive with an Optibay and additional hard drive/SSD. You also have more ports and the TB port has more channels.

Edit: Also that Macbook Pro will have a much greater useful life with the 2.2Ghz Quad core, Radeon 6750 and ability to hold 8GB RAM vs the Air's 1.8Ghz Dual Core (max), dedicated graphics and 4GB RAM.

Completely Agree!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.