Did I make the right choice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thuchu1, Aug 3, 2011.

1. thuchu1 macrumors regular

thuchu1

I recently purchased the 2.2Ghz 15" Macbook Pro mainly because of the video card, but with the new Macbook Air out, I'm wondering if I made a good decision.

I am a college student going for a mechanical engineering degree and run parallels often to run visual basic and mechanical design/FEA software. I work with Solidworks 3D modeling often as well.

Outside of school, my computing is mostly just the usual internet surfing/excel document making, but every so often I work with a few after effects projects, and do fairly heavy video editing.

The reason I went for the 2.2GHz computer was for the ATI HD6750M with 1GB of memory, but as I only spend a small fraction of my time in After Effects and the Adobe suite I was wondering if this machine is over-kill, and if a 13" Ultimate would be able to handle the heavier things I do. Thanks

2. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

You already own it and it is a far superior machine. I think you would regret dumping it for an Air. With it's much slower CPU, inferior graphics and far fewer upgrade options.

With the Macbook Pro you can upgrade the hard drive with any 2.5" SATA hard drive or SSD that is 9.5mm tall (which is just about all of them). You can also upgrade the RAM and replace the superdrive with an Optibay and additional hard drive/SSD. You also have more ports and the TB port has more channels.

Edit: Also that Macbook Pro will have a much greater useful life with the 2.2Ghz Quad core, Radeon 6750 and ability to hold 8GB RAM vs the Air's 1.8Ghz Dual Core (max), dedicated graphics and 4GB RAM.

3. sumone macrumors regular

Completely Agree!

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I too agree. Keep the MBP OP! (Hey that rhymes. Lol :eek: )

5. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

6. Sam235 macrumors member

Sam235

7. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

8. captkirkmtl macrumors newbie