Did I make the right choice??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by afroAnt, Oct 6, 2011.

1. afroAnt macrumors regular

I have just bought the WD My Passport Essential SE 1TB, and I have just read the reviews online and there are mixed views on the drive. Did I make the right choice or should i return it? :confused:

2. hafr macrumors 68030

You will always find mixed reviews. Unless all or a ridiculous large amount of the reviews are referring to the same problems, you just have to try it and see whether it'll give you problems or not :) I'd say keep it.

3. afroAnt thread starter macrumors regular

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

You have just bought one of the best drives made. I've been using WD Passports and other models from WD for years.

I have several laptops Mac & PC, two Mac Pros and all kinds of gear.

I'm highly mobile and carry a Passport with me everywhere. I've got the exact model you have purchased and it's fast, quiet and very reliable.

Stop reading the reviews since most people love to be negative, or simply do not know how to setup and use a drive properly.

You'd be surprised at some of the things people do.

Just use it and enjoy it. There's nothing to worry about.

5. afroAnt thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks :) Its good to hear that. Looks like I'll keep the drive.

6. Negritude macrumors 6502

I recently bought two of them during sales at Staples.

They work fine. The only problem I ran into was with the drives having trouble waking from sleep.

I used WD SmartWare to turn off the drives' internal sleep function, and I unchecked "put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" in Energy Saver. My machine itself sleeps after 1 hour, so the internal hard disk sleeps with it. The external drives are left alone.

I don't keep the drives connected to the machine all the time, so there's no issue with them not getting any rest. :D

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

no, it's 60% and 40% of the people that write reviews.

a lot of people who have no problems aren't gonna take the time to write a review, but a larger percentage of the people who have problems will take the time.

if 10% of the no problem people write a review, vs 50% of the problem people, your numbers really go to about a 90/10 split