Did I make the right choice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macguy93, Oct 4, 2013.

1. macguy93 macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

A couple weeks ago I posted this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1638108

I listened to what everyone had to say and I went ahead and purchased the retina model, here are the specs:

16gb ram 1600mhz
    2.6ghz (3.6ghz turbo)
    512ssd
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

My usual tasks are video editing (after effects, premiere pro, cinema 4d) and app development.

My question is, if I went with the model above (2.7ghz 3.7turbo) would I see a Jurassic difference in performance over .1ghz?

Thanks in advance!

2. Broadus macrumors 6502a

3. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

You are fine the way it is. I wish I had your machine!

4. luminouslight macrumors 6502

luminouslight

You have a beast of a computer man, I think the difference would hardly be noticeable.

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

100MHz difference gives the word "negligible" plenty of affirmation.

I should check up on the specs; the Apple power supply is 85W. If the laptop requires more than 85W, the CPU will throttle (slow down) and the power supply will start to heat up. So it might be a moot point, getting the higher speed CPU if the current one can't even perform at top speed...

For example, the 2011 MacBook Pro uses 97W, as I recall... The 17" model has a larger battery, which is why the 17" version cremated the 15" version despite the latter having the identical configuration (sans battery). The battery provided the needed power the CPU required.

The good news is, the Retina model (2.3GHz) does not throttle:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Apple-MacBook-Pro-15-Retina-2-3-GHz-Mid-2012.78959.0.html

6. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

You made the right choice. The extra 100MHz is maybe 3% faster. That's almost just a rounding error.

7. Trubbles macrumors regular

Great choice!

I have basically the same thing with a smaller SSD, and love it.

I have the original 2.6 GHz model it is pretty fast and does well on benchmarks even now, 15+ months after it originally launched. I can't remember the actual score, but I remember doing Geekbench a few weeks ago and my machine keeps up with a pack of laptops almost twice its weight.

Still the best laptop on the market for its weight.

8. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Good choice. I will most likely get a maxed out rmbp, but even I sometimes wonder why Apple makes the +100MHz (and 8MB L3 cache?) even an option for the price. Maybe just to guarantee competitiveness.