Did I make the right choice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UnluckyXIII, Nov 15, 2016.

1. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

So I ordered my MacBook Pro much later than the majority (currently sitting on a 20th-29th December delivery window). After seeing so many other people now post the spec they ordered, reviews coming in from people who've already received their tMBP I can't help but think - "Did I make the right choice?"

The system I decided to go with is as follows;

15-inch MacBook Pro - Space Grey

Configuration

• 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    • 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    • Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB VRAM
    • 1TB PCIe-based SSD
    • Apple Care Protection Plan

But I seem to be again in the minority here, from what I can tell most other people seem to have taken the bump in CPU speed over larger PCIe storage, this has since got me thinking... was storage the better option that I first perceived it to be, technically it's the only thing I can add more of (in one term or another), but the CPU is for the lifetime for the system.

so now I'm sat here, wondering, maybe I should have stuck with the base SSD and taken the additional boost to the CPU....

I guess it comes down to - Are the real world differences between the 2.7 and 2.9 enough?

What do you guys think? Have I made the wrong choice and should I have chosen the CPU over the SSD? Would I have been bettter not taking the Apple Care and having the best of both worlds?? Or will the difference be minimal and I should be happy with the system I've chose?

XIII

2. SRTM macrumors regular

You made the right choice.
    From what I've been researching, you most likely won't notice a difference between 2.7 & 2.9.

3. emailnotebox macrumors regular

emailnotebox

The difference in cpu speed is negligible. Unless the work you do require negiligible gains from cpu upgrade, I would say getting larger SSD is more practical and future proof. I think you made a good choice.

4. Chuzwuzzin macrumors member

Agree with the above posters. Having said that I cancelled my original 2.6 order to go with the 2.7 as I eventually realised that the price differential between those two processors is small and the step from 2.6 to 2.7 includes a larger l3 cache plus a couple of other cpu features turned on (could prove useful in the long run for encoding etc). I wouldn't have done this for a .1 or .2 GHz speed bump however.

5. kokhoong0624 macrumors regular

kokhoong0624

I got the same BTO option too! Knowing the SSD is not removable it's nicer to wait a few seconds for the 0.2GHz difference than getting a smaller drive IMHO